Author Topic: Horseradish  (Read 2302 times)

grotbag

• Hectare
  • granddaughter(miya) in Christchurch,Dorset
Horseradish
« on: May 13, 2008, 21:35:27 »
hi all,have been trying to buy some horseradish plants ,but no one seems to sell em ,wondered if anyone can help.cheers

valmarg

• Hectare
Re: Horseradish
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2008, 21:44:26 »
Its perhaps the wrong time of year.  Some things appear to be seasonal.

One proviso I would make about horseradish, it can be very invasive.  Insofar as it is worse than bindweed.  Just one small piece left in the garden can grow.

valmarg

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2008, 21:47:48 »
I have dug up bits of mine for so many people it won't stand another one until the end of the season!!! It will be back!
 ;D

valmarg

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2008, 21:56:05 »
With a vengeance ;D

valmarg

ceres

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2008, 22:21:16 »
I bought one of the cheap packs in Wilkinsons - they were with the strawberry  and rhubarb crowns.  I split the root in two and put them in separate large pots.  One has grown away strongly, the other less so.

Lindsay

• Acre
  • Near Avignon, France
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2008, 07:03:53 »
I can vouch for Saddad's horseradish. He kindly sent me three pieces, two survived the trip here and they are now extremely healthy looking plants - flowers as well!  I have them in pots for this year until I can decide where to put them, out of the way!  Many thanks again Saddad!  :)

Ren1

• Not So New ...
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2008, 12:41:16 »
Hi, do you still need any, I can try and dig some out and send if you like?

jaqz

• Not So New ...
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2008, 13:25:24 »
I also saw it in the local Wilkinson's only a couple of weeks ago, we got ours from Garden Organics catalogue, and had to wait for it to be sent in March, which is the only time window for it apparently.

If you cant get any, let me know and we should be able to send you one as we were sent five.

grotbag

• Hectare
  • granddaughter(miya) in Christchurch,Dorset
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2008, 21:04:57 »
thanks for the help and kind offers ,have to go to shops saturday ,will have a look in wilkos then

lin

• Half Acre
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2008, 00:45:18 »
I have just dug out loads of the stuff and thrown it away as it grows prolifically on my plot and I don't use it... I am a veggie and I always associate it with roast beef!!

But has anyone suggestions as to how you use it... grind it up... boil it...no idea, but perhaps there is some way I can involve it in my meals, just no idea how to cook the stuff, Linda

keef

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2008, 00:54:21 »
Mine came from near a local pond... It grows wild in quite a few places so keep an eye out for it.

To keep it in tack i'm really hard with mine, i dig most of what can see in winter - but i still get enough for my needs each year.
Straight outt'a compton - West Berkshire.

Please excuse my spelling, i am an engineer

aromatic

• Half Acre
  • Lavender flowers yield abundant nectar
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2008, 01:34:28 »
Found this link regarding horseradish.......

www.victoriananursery.co.uk/herb_seeds_and_plants/herb_plants/horseradish_plant/

Hope it helps, although I see you have had lots of kind offers.....

God made rainy days so gardeners could get the housework done.  ~Author Unknown

Love aromatic xxx

jennym

• Hectare
  • Essex/Suffolk border
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2008, 01:56:07 »
...But has anyone suggestions as to how you use it... grind it up... boil it...no idea, but perhaps there is some way I can involve it in my meals, just no idea how to cook the stuff, Linda

Scrub/peel the most succulent of the roots. Preferably in a large bowl of water, as it really makes your eyes run. Grate it very finely or put in food processor (makes your eyes run even more!).
Preserve the grated horseradish by freezing in small amounts (say, in ice cube tray size quantities) or jarring in vinegar at the rate of 110ml vinegar for every 300ml horseradish. Use good vinegar.
You can then add it to other veg to spice them up - my favourite is with grated beetroot, I use approx 100g horseradish to each 400g beetroot.
A teaspoonful or so is good with grated cheese in a sarnie.
A little of the grated horseradish is good mixed with mayonnaise for salads, or straight with vinegar/oil dressing. And you can mix horseradish with mustard.
For cooking it does liven up dishes when added to sauces, once you have it grated you can experiment, at the beginning it's best to add small quantities and taste.

Larkshall

• Hectare
  • Near Cambourne (Cambs.)
    • Ellis Rowell's Website
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2008, 08:36:56 »
hi all,have been trying to buy some horseradish plants ,but no one seems to sell em ,wondered if anyone can help.cheers

Buy horseradish????
B----- stuff, you can have all mine for free. My father planted it years ago and we can't get rid of it. It's the next worse to Japanese knotweed (he introduced that too).

DON'T introduce it into your garden (you will regret it) or allotment (other allotment holders will curse you forever).
« Last Edit: May 18, 2008, 08:42:07 by Larkshall »
Organiser, Mid Anglia Computer Users (Est. 1988)
Member of the Cambridge Cyclists Touring Club

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2008, 13:28:38 »
I'm wondering what size container it would need in order to flourish. I have an old plastic dustbin; I might put mine in that.

floraldi

• Half Acre
« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2008, 16:34:56 »
There was some in a mini sale in Wilkinsons's today . I would have bought it except that a very kind lady on Swap Shop forum sent me some.  The generosity of some people on this site is amazing. She told me she just wanted a couple of second class stamps and yet it cost her £3 to post. I did reimburse her of course.  Trouble now is, I am not sure if it has "taken" or not. 

I always digress - the answer to your question is that Wilkinson's sell it. If you tell them it looks a bit dry or something they might reduce it.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2008, 20:02:14 »
I bought some from them once. I don't know what it was, but it definitely wasn't horseradish!

grannyjanny

• PMs
  • Hectare
  • Lives in Cheshire. Light sandy soil. Loves no dig.
« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2008, 20:11:13 »
I believe horseradish is good for sinus problems.

valmarg

• Hectare
« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2008, 22:24:51 »
And how.  Grating fresh horseradish would most definitely clear your tubes (aka sinuses).  Bring tears to your eyes as well. ;D ;D

valmarg

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal