Author Topic: Butternut Squash  (Read 2997 times)

alit

• Quarter Acre
  • I love Allotments 4 All
Butternut Squash
« on: July 27, 2004, 16:22:08 »
I saved some seeds from a bought butternut squash and sowed them, they all came up and have grown into lovely plants with lots of flowers.  the only problem is "no fruit"  None of the flowers have turned into butternut squashes.  Could anyone suggest why this may be happening.  I have planted about 6 plants out.

piglit

• Quarter Acre
  • Tall oaks… from little haycorns grow.
Re:Butternut Squash
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2004, 16:29:24 »
I don't know if there is special reason why you have no fruit as I am a newbie to all this but I have found that a similar thing happened with my courgette plants.  Lots of flowers and what looked like they would be fruit then nothing came of it.  However, I just left them to it and now, finally I have some almost whole courgettes. Maybe your squashes are the same... I think there is some technical reason like lack of pollonation but either way they are growing now!
"It is awfully hard to be b-b-brave," said Piglet, "when you are only a Very Small Animal."

alit

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2004, 16:32:46 »
thanks piglit.  That gives me hope.  I have grown yellow courgettes this year and they are doing so well that we are having to eat them every day.  The leaves are lovely too, so i grow mine in my flower boarders at home.  They get lots of water.

ALAN HOWELL

• Half Acre
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2004, 16:49:22 »
Hi...I had this problem last season,but they eventually got their act together and produced 6 nice squashes from 2 plants,sooo I am not gonna worry about e'm this year   :-X.......Alan
« Last Edit: July 27, 2004, 16:50:11 by ALANG »
I GOT A LOTTA LOTTIE

alit

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2004, 16:50:55 »
Excellent - I'll worry no more - looks like all my friends will be getting butternut squashes then!!  thanks. ;D

Doris_Pinks

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2004, 17:27:23 »
Don't give them away alit :o they store brilliantly for months n months!
We don't inherit the earth, we only borrow it from our children.
Blog: http://www.nonsuchgardening.blogspot.com/

feet of clay

• Half Acre
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2004, 19:58:21 »
My plants (from saved seed) are just showing baby fruit about 2" long.  I'm not planning on giving any away as they do store well.

alit

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2004, 12:56:29 »
thanks Alan you were right.  I kept on watering and looking and today, i have discovered my first butternut squash.  its a little green baby about 1.5 inches long. Yipee.  Thats really exciting for me. ;D

ALAN HOWELL

• Half Acre
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2004, 12:21:10 »
good on ya alit ..your on ur way with em    ;)  ...Alan
I GOT A LOTTA LOTTIE

alit

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2004, 16:59:50 »
Interesting thing.  I gave my sister some of my little butter nut squash plants and just taken her to seem my new baby and she said oh, thats what it is she has a massive one, like in the shops.  They were all sown at the same time and mine went into my lottie and hers went into her lottie.  She has a full size one already.  How can they be that different. ::)

alit

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2004, 17:11:36 »
I have just remembered.  My sister said that her squash is green.  Is that ready to pick or should it be the straw colour like in the shops to be ripe inside? ;)

ALAN HOWELL

• Half Acre
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2004, 18:33:18 »
Hi Alit,

I think It's just the luck of the draw whether the plant sports a female and male flower early enough to get a fair sized squash thi s soon,there may be a better explanation out there from a jenned up lottie person.It's better to let the squash ripen b4 taking it off the plant tho Alit.....Alan
I GOT A LOTTA LOTTIE

Doris_Pinks

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2004, 19:03:17 »
Definately straw coloured Alit, and pick just before the first frosts. They have to be cured, which means the skin has to harden to keep them well. I bring mine into my greenhouse for a week or so until the skin is tough. Mine are stil tiny at the mo, but they can put on a great growth spurt given the right conditions! Dottie P
We don't inherit the earth, we only borrow it from our children.
Blog: http://www.nonsuchgardening.blogspot.com/

john_miller

• Hectare
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2004, 21:39:56 »
Alit, are your sisters plants and your plants the same size?

alit

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2004, 10:08:04 »
thanks for the info guys.  I didn't know about letting them cure, or about picking just before 1st frosts.

As for the size of my sisters plants compared to mine, i don't know as we live different towns.  I may be able to have a look tomorrow when i visit.  Will let you know. ;)

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal