Author Topic: cleaning and storing garlic  (Read 2772 times)

alit

• Quarter Acre
  • I love Allotments 4 All
cleaning and storing garlic
« on: July 27, 2004, 16:20:11 »
I have just harvested all my garlic.  It is a fabulous size, but very muddy.  what is the best way to clean up and store it.
On quite a few of the bulbs there was an extra one outside the case of the rest.  can i replant that in the autumn.  is that what it is intended for in the wild?

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
Re:cleaning and storing garlic
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2004, 16:40:15 »
I would brush off any clumps of soil, but don't bother to 'clean' it. It'll shed the rest with its skin when it dries. 'Tidy' the leaves, but leave them on for plaiting. See http://www.thegarlicfarm.co.uk/  Don,t overdry until brittle.  = Tim

PS I wouldn't bother with the bulblets - unless you really want to economise. I prefer to start with clean stock each year.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2004, 16:45:33 by tim »

alit

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2004, 16:46:30 »
thanks tim.  where is the best place to store it?   In the garage.  Cool and dark? and in what, could i leave it in a seed tray to dry out?  How long can I store it/keep it?

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2004, 16:59:12 »
We always dry on wire racks in the garage or greenhouse, & then rope them & hang them in the kitchen, of all places - with an AGA! Same with the onions. Depending on variety, it can last till next spring. = Tim

alit

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2004, 10:07:17 »
 ;)So, it's ok to store in warm light greenhouse or cool dark garage is it?    I have cut my onion stalks off, so i guess I'll have to use them more quickly.  thanks for the info though. I'll know what to do next year.   :)

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2004, 17:11:38 »
No expert - so use your nous! Many interesting references such as:

http://www.thegarlicstore.com/index.cgi/storing.html
http://www.garlicfarm.ca/storing-garlic.htm = Tim

alit

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2004, 14:18:08 »
thanks for the advice tim.  I now have several bunches of garlic hanging up in a dry cupboard.  It is all drying nicely and looks lovely.  We roasted some on the barbi over the weekend. mmmmm

Alit

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2004, 17:19:07 »
Lost it! Since yesterday.
The post quoting hdra's 'stringing onions'. Thanks, author - why didn't I know that decades ago? SO simple. = Tim

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal