Author Topic: Why? Is my.....  (Read 1537 times)

KLCG

• Quarter Acre
  • Godalming Surrey
Why? Is my.....
« on: May 15, 2008, 22:07:33 »
 ???

Why has my Rosemary plant got yellow leaves now?  It has flowered okay but has yellow leaves! Its in a pot.

And why does my Sage plant contain hundreds of Ants  - it to is in a pot about 3ft high on a pot stand, the other plants dont have it.  I'm confused.
PMA - Positive Mental Attitude!

betula

• Hectare
Re: Why? Is my.....
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2008, 22:20:21 »
Try repotting the Rosemary.They like well drained soil.

Ants could end up anywhere.Again I would take the plant out of the pot,the action may well disband them,If it is to awful I would get rid of the plant. :)

Uncle Joshua

• Hectare
    • nikkershaw.net
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2008, 22:23:56 »
Is the Rosemary too dry or too wet?

I's shake the ants off your Sage and then put the pot in another area.

KLCG

• Quarter Acre
  • Godalming Surrey
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2008, 22:32:44 »
I been jet washing the sage and shook it several times.  I've also got these green shiny lady bug thingys that have been appearing too

The rosemary seems to be moist. not too wet or too dry

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2008, 22:39:25 »
To be frank large 'woody' perennial herbs like Rosemary and Sage are never going to be entirely happy in pots unless the pots are huge.  Yellow leaves suggest an inbalance of nutrients and ants on plants often means they are farming aphids.  If you can I'd move the plants to a border or failing that, if you want to keep them in pots I'd suggest they need half barrel size.

G x
'The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.'

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2008, 22:39:47 »
Some yellowing of leaves on perennials can be expected as long as it doesn't shed them all!
 ;D

KLCG

• Quarter Acre
  • Godalming Surrey
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2008, 23:09:06 »
I might stick on the allotment then   :-\  but what are the shiny green ladybird like things???

sheddie

• Acre
  • Gateshead
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2008, 23:23:09 »
This has solved a problem for me too! - my Rosemary ain't looking too happy either, but its only in a 6 inch pot - in the ground its going then! ;D
When weeding, the best way to make sure you are removing a weed and not a valuable plant is to pull on it. If it comes out of the ground easily, it is a valuable plant.

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2008, 09:41:17 »
I might stick on the allotment then   :-\  but what are the shiny green ladybird like things???

If they have purple stripes then it could be Rosemary leaf beetle. 

G x
'The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.'

Barnowl

• Hectare
  • getting back to my roots [SW London]
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2008, 09:56:39 »
If they are silvery/iridescent they are lavender beetles; they (or their larvae) do  like rosemary and cause damage similar to that you have described.

Pick them off and flatten them - or put newspaper under the bush and give it a shake - they fall off very easily - then flatten them, feed them to your chickens just make sure they aren't going to come back. They are pretty but absolute b**g**s

willebee

• Not So New ...
  • Pumpkins anyone?
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2008, 13:09:46 »
This is what the Rosemary leaf beetle looks like. Not only does it like Rosemary, but also lavender, thyme and sage.

http://www.allotments4all.co.uk/smf/gallery/thumb_7518_05_06_08_1_00_52.jpg
Nothing ventured etc!!!!!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal