Author Topic: Spring Cabbage  (Read 1758 times)

Jesse

• Hectare
    • News2Share
Spring Cabbage
« on: July 27, 2004, 12:10:40 »
I have some spring cabbage seeds and plan to grow them in pots because there is no space in the garden. The packet says to plant them on into well limed soil. I don't have any lime, would I get away with keeping them in ordinary potting soil or will they fail dismally?
Green fingers are the extension of a verdant heart - Russell Page

http://www.news2share.co.uk

ALAN HOWELL

• Half Acre
  • I love Allotments4All
Re:Spring Cabbage
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2004, 17:05:52 »
Hi ,give it a try,I grew spring Cab for years without liming,now I have to cos I have Clubroot on the plot :(   .....Alan
I GOT A LOTTA LOTTIE

Jesse

• Hectare
    • News2Share
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2004, 17:37:27 »
Is that why they suggest to lime the soil, because of clubroot? If that is the case then I will give it a try as I'm thinking potting soil is sterilised (I think?) and clubroot would not be present then.
Green fingers are the extension of a verdant heart - Russell Page

http://www.news2share.co.uk

budgiebreeder

• Hectare
  • West Yorkshire.
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2004, 18:16:29 »
Have you tried putting an 1" piece of rhubarb in the hole before planting the cabbage Alan.It does seem to work for me .Give it a try if not.
Earth fills her lap with treasures of her own.

john_miller

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2004, 22:43:39 »
Cabbages prefer a pH around 6.5-7. Normal potting soil will be adjusted to this pH and probably sterilised. If you are planning on overwintering them you may need to take into consideration two things. They will get top heavy, especially when they start forming heads, so bracing the pots will probably be neccessary. When it gets cold don't allow the roots to freeze (which they will be prone to do when in pots) as this will result in the leaves probably dessicating and dying, particularly the main growing point.

ALAN HOWELL

• Half Acre
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2004, 09:40:04 »
Thanks Budgie..that's a new one for me,will try it certainly...Alan
I GOT A LOTTA LOTTIE

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal