Author Topic: Derby Open Day... NGS  (Read 5501 times)

Oldhippy

• Quarter Acre
Re: Derby Open Day... NGS
« Reply #20 on: June 01, 2008, 18:30:58 »
Called in this afternoon.
Great site and a really good day out. Didn`t buy any plants but had a smashing cuppa tea and slice o` cake!
Congratulations - and I`ll definitely see you in September. It`ll be mainly produce then I hear. Will it be just runner beans or will there be cakes `n jam `n that? :)

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #21 on: June 01, 2008, 21:50:15 »
Thanks people... we took about £1000... to be split between us and the NGS.
Wmble, Fork  made themselves known but I didn't see old Hippy! The rain held off but it was overcast all day!
 ;D
It was throwing it down all round...

Produce not just runners... hopefully Chillis, peppers, Aubergines... blight willing we will have an odd tomato tasting... :D

glosterwomble

• Hectare
  • Gloucester - The South West
    • Fork it...a Gloucester allotment
« Reply #22 on: June 01, 2008, 21:58:35 »
Great day, we went last September and it was really nice to have a look at the start of the growing year, bought some lovely plants,met saddad and fork and had a really nice chat with Deb p on her plot admiring her AMAZING bothy and beautiful plot (very talented people!) .

Glad it was a success saddad, you really deserve it the site is brill.
View my blog on returning a totally
 overgrown plot in Gloucester
 into a productive allotment ... http://fork-in-hell.blogspot.com/

saddad

• Hectare
« Reply #23 on: June 01, 2008, 23:52:37 »
Done all the book keeping now, only £862 profit... glad you like the site so much you keep coming back G Womble!!  ;D

glosterwomble

• Hectare
« Reply #24 on: June 02, 2008, 00:04:23 »
Done all the book keeping now, only £862 profit... glad you like the site so much you keep coming back G Womble!!  ;D

WOW!! Well done. It really is a great site, full of character and such nice people. Glad it was a productive day for you saddad.  :D

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #25 on: June 02, 2008, 09:47:06 »
Here is a glimpse of my plot as it looked yesterday, the shed didn't quite get finished but attracted a lot of attention, not least because OH sat up on the roof putting more shingles on most of the day ! He was kept busy chatting to people... "I don't do plants....I only work with wood" , "it's meant to look wonky, I've built it like that" " no, we are not going to put curtains at the window, I don't do soft furnishings" etc.  while I did my stint on the refreshment stall, he was in his element really.. ;D

Great to meet Glosterwomble (actually got to talk this time, fab!) and Fork again, I did stick my Deb P moniker on my moneybag to aid my identification but still think we need some sort of identifying A4A handshake or wave or something!

If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

saddad

• Hectare
« Reply #26 on: June 02, 2008, 18:57:00 »
and although she's too shy to say Deb won the most popular plot on the exit poll for the second time... gallantly shared the prize ( a bottle of wine with the helpers!)
 ;D

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #27 on: June 02, 2008, 19:29:11 »
Where's your willow house, Deb?

When I was a regular subscriber to a certain other gardening site, they actually produced a nice metal badge for members to buy. Come to think of it, I wonder whatever happened to mine?

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #28 on: June 02, 2008, 20:47:29 »
With all the great work that was put in glad to hear it was a great day.
Deb I have just been looking through your gallery, everything looks great and I love the "shed"

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #29 on: June 02, 2008, 23:21:00 »
Where's your willow house, Deb?

When I was a regular subscriber to a certain other gardening site, they actually produced a nice metal badge for members to buy. Come to think of it, I wonder whatever happened to mine?

The willow den is still going strong, its just to the left of the new shed...my son was showing all the kids that came to the Open Day round it like an estate agent! I'll take a new pic next time I take the camera down and update the gallery.

A badge would be a good idea.......someone want to design one?
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

glosterwomble

• Hectare
« Reply #30 on: June 03, 2008, 08:44:57 »
..... A badge would be a good idea.......someone want to design one?
I agree Deb, we should get a badge like a prefect enamel badge with 'A4A'
on it in some logo design.

Froglegs

• Hectare
  • Nottinghamshire.
« Reply #31 on: June 06, 2008, 11:34:11 »
Or a Tshirt,could have competition for best design.

Oldhippy

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #32 on: June 06, 2008, 16:55:56 »
Hi again Saddad,
I was browsing the plant stall at your open day but you were deep in conversation giving a customer some detailed advice - including Latin names!  Assume it was you, the other two were women. I was dead impressed and hung about for a while but the tea tent called. (Posh tea tent by the way!)

Fork

• Hectare
  • Amber valley,Derbyshire
« Reply #33 on: June 07, 2008, 11:18:44 »
I enjoyed my visit again this year and will definately be going along again in September.

Nice to see Saddad and DebP again and also meet Glosterwomble too.I may have spoken to you too Oldhippy cos I like to chat and spoke with many people.

Came away with some runners and sweetcorn plants to replace the ones I lost in the late frosts,plus a Habanero chilli plant too................not to mention the bag full of samosas  :P

Im glad it kept dry.Im only a few miles out of Derby and it was throwing it down here.....but dried up as i got closer.

A great way to spend a few hours and recommended.
You can pick your friends, and you can pick your nose, but you can't pick your friends nose

saddad

• Hectare
« Reply #34 on: June 07, 2008, 22:45:58 »
What Sweet corn did you get Fork? The Minipop didn't make it to the sale.. got left in the big greenhouse by mistake so several people bought Minipop that wasn't...  :-[

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal