Author Topic: Another sad post  (Read 2498 times)

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
Another sad post
« on: July 26, 2004, 16:20:50 »
My dog insisted I go with her to the bottom of the plot. (She demanded!)
When I got there, there was a young wild rabbit half under the rhubarb. No marks on it but it was obviously in a bad way. I put it outside the plot hoping it might recover but it was getting worse. I had to do the humane thing. It's now in a small grave with a cross on a post above. I feel really bad about cursing the holes it used to dig.

Plocket

• Hectare
  • Clematis Crystal Fountain
    • Plocket's Clematis Site
Re:Another sad post
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2004, 18:55:15 »
Oh how sad. I wonder what happened to the poor little thing? They are pests but even so, an animal in pain is a sad thing. You did the best thing.
The tree which moves some to tears of joy is in the eyes of others only a green thing which stands in the way... (William Blake)

Ozzy aka Pothead

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2004, 20:38:21 »
Ken

You are top peep.... and to give the rabbit a burial is paying homage to its life....... I had to kill a frog earlier this year.. it was cold and its legs were broken... feel bad becus i gave it 5 hours to see if it would recover and then when i done the deed I felt "what right did I have" and thats where our humanity lies... to make these decisions,,, and you know that it would had suffered greatly had you not acted.... nice one Ken

Oz

CotswoldLass

• Hectare
  • I love gardening!
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2004, 22:21:42 »
Hey guys, you all know I love and respect animals, but have you thought that the dog might be bringing the bunny to your attention because it was ill? Rabbits rarely hang around, but a myxamatosis sufferer is immovable, as if it has had a stroke or something.

I think you did a kindness, from what you say about the circumstances, and that takes a real animal lover to do it. They are wild, and treating them like pets or humans is doing them a disservice. CLx

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2004, 21:41:21 »
Like Ozz, I now wonder if I did the right thing in waiting to do what had to be done. I'll never know.
 Strange how my dog came to get me rather than attacking the rabbit. It was after all an animal that dogs chase and kill. Animals seems to know what's fair and what's not. Pity most people have lost that ability.

CotswoldLass

• Hectare
  • I love gardening!
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2004, 23:57:16 »
KenKew I'm with you on that one (about people). Animals know how it really is in nature and we'd be wrong not to listen. It's not always easy, and human terms can translate it wrong, but you have to try  to understand the message and be brave to carry it out.......Take care, CLx

Ozzy aka Pothead

« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2004, 18:29:02 »
Ken

it is a tough card to call.. I have searched the web for something I read about the native Americans.. and basically what it was.. when they went hunting they paid homage to the prey by saying that a hand greater than the one that struck them down will also visit them and that they too will share in the circle... I like the Native Americans.. they undestood many things.. for instance how nature grows?? in a circle.. woods, whatever all in circles.. I like circles... anyways Ken just trying to say total empathy with how you feel mahn.. you did the humane thing ken.. is what seperates us..

oz

Toots

• Quarter Acre
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2004, 21:40:01 »
Hi Ken,

I think you are a kind and caring guy,who did the right thing to relieve a suffering creature.

I have had on a few occasions to do the same ,injured birds,animals and it is awful,feels so violating and final,but it is the greatest mercy and kindness you can show,not to let it go on suffering perhaps for days.

Well done!

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal