Author Topic: broad beans  (Read 1486 times)

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
broad beans
« on: July 26, 2004, 13:17:12 »
After the mouse/squirrel/birds attacked my spring sown broad beans, they were then infested with blackflies, so I cut the tops back by about a foot and forgot about them.  At the weekend I decided to get shot as they were looking less than happy, but as I started cutting them back I noticed they have all produced lots of new shoots around the base and are smothered in flowers.  I plan to cover with netting again and keep my fingers crossed that beasties will ignore them, but what do you think....might they crop?

gilgamesh

• Half Acre
Re:broad beans
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2004, 16:36:25 »
Probably - early broads are usually worth cutting down & allowing to shoot again, so I don't see why yours shouldn't crop.
Sumer is a coming in....

CotswoldLass

• Hectare
  • I love gardening!
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2004, 15:33:38 »
Interesting guys....thanks.....am off to cut back my broad bean plants!  ;)

alit

• Quarter Acre
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2004, 16:37:56 »
I wish i'd known to leave the plants that were sprouting from the bottom again.  I just pulled them all up.  Will know for next year.

I had a third of my crop anialated by black fly this year - all that work!!  Someone told me that you can get an organic spray made of amino acids.  Has anyone used this?  I might try it next year.

CotswoldLass

• Hectare
  • I love gardening!
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2004, 16:42:57 »
Just in time!! Went out and cut back, lots of new growth and flowers on the majority of the plants. Fingers crossed........CLx

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal