Author Topic: Yipee the spuds are in ....!!  (Read 1022 times)

lolabelle

• Hectare
  • nero
Yipee the spuds are in ....!!
« on: May 08, 2008, 09:55:44 »
At last the weather has picked up 8) and dried up my wet plot so last night the spuds went in some in the Normal way and others through black plastic....but what do I do when they grow throught the plastic  do you earth them up, put  fleece over them or what ??  ???
all suggestions gratefully  recieved

weedgrower

• Half Acre
Re: Yipee the spuds are in ....!!
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2008, 10:02:39 »
well you cant really earth up if they are under plastic although i suppose you could a bit around the hole or even better just keep adding compost around the haulm. i put my spuds in a few weeks ago and they have all come up. they are standing about 5 inches above the ground
takes over your life doesn't it

philandjan

• Half Acre
  • It wasn't us!
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2008, 14:48:15 »
Lolabelle
Instead of using black plastic why don't you try using plastic bags? You can then pick them ready-packed   ;D

This outbreak of fine weather also meant a fair amount of backbreaking work yesterday getting all of our spuds in while conditions are favourable.

This year we have tried lining the trenches with shredded paper, well rotten manure and comfrey leaves. Now it's just a case of sitting back and waiting.
Once upon a time we were the newbies from Harley allotments. Now we're old codgers!

lolabelle

• Hectare
  • nero
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2008, 20:45:00 »
well  yes... bin bags are an iea for another year but I'm new on my lottie and well quite frankly growing an amazing ammount of weeds suprise suprise!!!  so my thinking was black plastic may well be a labour saving option  ::) 

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal