Author Topic: Suggestion :- Tree for Pot in Sunny and Windy position  (Read 1726 times)

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
Hi Guys,

I had a stardard Photinia x fraseri 'Red Robin' in a pot in the front garden and its died after 3 years dispite lots of care and attention. I now need a replacement.

I need something that will be happy in a large pot approx 3ft wide and 3ft deep.

Idealy i would like to have something thats evergreen, smelly or with flowers and not need protection from frost as i dont want to have to fleese something so visable in the front garden.

I have been looking at A Handkerchief Tree, eucalyptus or Indian bean tree but not sure if these would work any other suggestions or advice?

Cam

Barnowl

• Hectare
  • getting back to my roots [SW London]
Re: Suggestion :- Tree for Pot in Sunny and Windy position
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2008, 17:05:20 »
We are fans of Winter Box / fragrant Sarcococca - it flowers during the winter and s very fragrant.

http://www.heronswood.com/shrubs_shrubs-i-to-z_sarcococca-winter-box/sarcococca-ruscifolia-var-chinensis/

or how about a  Choisya?

Less fragrant but perhaps more useful is Myrtle.

cambourne7

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2008, 18:11:40 »
want something with a bit of height maybe 3 or 4 ft yes i love both those and there in the back garden :)

ipt8

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2008, 20:49:23 »
I think your three choices would be too large. I do like the idea of the Choysia, I would think that would be more the size. I know Daphnes are very fragrant but am not familiar with them so not sure if there are any evergreen :-\

star

• Hectare
  • Northampton, sm greenhouse, heated propagator
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2008, 21:48:55 »
There are evergreen and decidious Daphne, not sure of the names of either, if you do a quick google Cam Im sure the information you want will be there.
I was born with nothing and have most of it left.

Lucho

• Not So New ...
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2008, 21:56:38 »
Possibly not the most interesting of plants but you can get standard viburnums - a standard v. tinus will flower, is evergreen and tough as old boots! Maybe another option could be a holly, variegated or plain green. Thinking more along the lines of evergreen plants I've seen as standards that would suit a container rather than for rareness or beauty. Hope it helps!

ceres

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2008, 22:24:53 »
Fig or olive.

ellie2cats

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2008, 00:45:03 »
How about a Viburnum Burkwoodii.  Mine is about 6 ft now but it is 14 years old and it can be controlled. It has the most delightful perfume and flowers about February and March and April and May (and still in flower but less so now mid-May)  Lovely glossy dark green leaves, my favourite plant. Does not do well as a cut flower, curls up after 24 hours in a jug indoors.
Ellie2cats

cambourne7

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2008, 15:41:26 »
yum looks pretty someone else recomended a lilac would that grow in a pot?

valmarg

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2008, 19:41:17 »
We've got a Daphne retusa.  It's very slow growing, evergreen and it's in full flower at the moment.  The perfume is wonderful.

We've had it about 20 years.  It is now only about 2' high by 2' wide.  In the Autumn it has red berries, which the blackbirds love.  Shall have to try beating the birds to some berries, and growing the seeds.

Unfortunately, I don't know how to post snaps, otherwise I could take one and post it.

But I can thoroughly recommend it.

valmarg

ceres

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2008, 19:50:12 »
..... or a contorted hazel.  Interesting plus catkins.

valmarg

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2008, 19:56:54 »

I have been looking at A Handkerchief Tree, eucalyptus or Indian bean tree but not sure if these would work any other suggestions or advice?

Cam

I've just noticed this bit of your original post.

The answer is 'no way'.  All three have the potential to be huge trees, and would not appreciate being confined in a pot.  That is unless you were going to go to the trouble of bonsaing them ;D

valmarg

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal