Author Topic: Do you think this would work?  (Read 1283 times)

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
Do you think this would work?
« on: May 04, 2008, 09:37:06 »
My asparagus bed is getting overtaken by couch- it was one of the first things we planted when we got the plot and were naive about the immortality of couch so didn't do a thorough weeding job. Only a few shoots of asparagus are showing so far, so I was thinking of protecting the plants with some kind of collar and spraying the couch with roundup. I know the couch will still come up in between the shoots but do you think it would be worth a try?

davyw1

• Hectare
  • I love My Country
Re: Do you think this would work?
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2008, 09:53:49 »
The trouble with spraying you will always get some of the poison carried on the breeze, why not try crushing the the couch with your fingers and try dabbing it on with a brush.
When you wake up on a morning say "good morning world" and be grateful

DAVY

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2008, 10:27:42 »
I had to dig mine up and re site when couch got into it, lost another two years spears..
 :(

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2008, 10:36:35 »
The trouble with spraying you will always get some of the poison carried on the breeze, why not try crushing the the couch with your fingers and try dabbing it on with a brush.

That would take ages, wouldn't it?

I had to dig mine up and re site when couch got into it, lost another two years spears..
 :(

I think that may be our only solution long-term. Why did you have to wait another two years if they were already established plants?

Thegoodlife

• Half Acre
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2008, 14:01:08 »
heres one solution i found in a book

Troubleshooting
If mulching and hand weeding prove inadequate, apply the systemic herbicide glyphosate to the leaves of perennial weeds, carefully avoiding the asparagus foliage. In the dormant season, when no asparagus foliage is showing above ground, a contact herbicide such as Weedol 2 will control non-persistent weeds.

The main pests to affect asparagus are slugs and snails, and the larvae and adults of the asparagus beetle.

Thin, spindly shoots may be due to inadequate moisture, especially with young crowns. In established beds the cause is more likely to be overcropping or competition from weeds. Late frosts will cause distorted growth: protect with a double layer of fleece.

today i will be growin veg!!

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2008, 17:29:12 »
Thanks. Not had achance to do anything today as it's been raining all day. :(

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal