Author Topic: blighted  (Read 2433 times)

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
blighted
« on: July 24, 2004, 22:05:09 »
Allotment Toms are riddled with blight!  Firstly the leaves all curled and became scorched looking, then the leaves and stems started to blacken.  Now the fruits have discoloured and some plants collapsed on themselves.  Can they be saved as the curious thing is, this only seems to have affected the bottom growth on some plants, and I stripped all the diseased leaves off, and the plants look okay now.  Dig them up and dispose, or chance them and leave?  What harm could they do to other crops?  Is there anything I can use to not necessarily cure the current problem, but prevent it from happening next year?  All of this worry, and my greenhouse at home is packed full of tom plants, all healthy vigourous and laden with fruit so I shan't be short, just dissapointed that I have yet another disease on the plot!  >:(

john_miller

• Hectare
Re:blighted
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2004, 01:51:33 »
Picture? Sounds so bad they may be unsaveable.

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2004, 06:41:22 »
You POOR thing!! But you've still got some at home?? = Tim

ina

• Hectare
    • My Homepage
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2004, 19:59:29 »
Yep, the potato blight has arrived at our complex. The moment of truth has arrived for the Ferline tomatoes. Last year was a trial to see how resistant they are but there was hardly any blight around. Many of the allotments have been affected and the occupants were told by the committee (who are checking frequently now) to remove the affected plants off the complex. No sign yet on our tomatoes, keeping my fingers crossed.

Wicker

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2004, 20:38:19 »
That sounds dreadful and must be really disappointing We grow all our toms inside the g'house but this year have half a dozen outside but still in pots.  I take it that as they are related to potatoes this disease is the same as potato blight?  Our lottie neighbour has lots in the ground and has started harvesting his Sungold but as he cannot always get down we'd better keep an eye out on his in case.  We live and learn.
Equality isn't everyone being the same, equality is recognising that being different is normal.

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2004, 22:29:03 »
Have lots at home in the greenhouse, so that is okay, but as I say, just terribly disappointed that we have yet another disease thriving down there.  I shall try to remember to take the camera tomorrow and take some snaps.  

It is curious, one batch of my main crop spuds, can't remember which, have blight and have had all the tops cut down and I am now waiting 3 weeks before digging, but my other spuds are currently okay.  

So, is this my next sensible course of action....remove all tomatoes from the plot, and dispose of completely, plus cut down all potato top growth just in case?

I might cry you know!  :'(

Ozzy aka Pothead

« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2004, 00:10:44 »
Yo peeps

I am gonna go total here and say.. shouldn't we embrace the blight?  sounds mad but.. is nature showing us not to ever take owt for granted... my spuds maris piper (maincrop) have got scab... they still taste really mad.. spesh chips.. so i looked it up and know that i gotta be cool with my ground and give it a good feeding.... i still have toms in growbags but have some in buckets, the ones in buckets are much better than the ones in growbags and dont they know it... lording it over me gardeners delight saying u is just a commom tom in downtown growbags where as i is high flying tom in bucket
mad or wot I had to step in between them... cus me growbaggers were well vexed and where am I?... soz blight yes i have it on some of me toms too... soz just had image of 2 toms (bucketers) interagating a growbagger tom.. is like good tom ..bad tom... think i a,m saying ejoy the blight EJ cus hopefully u wont see very often.. bit like puting up with the smelly relative... god i is babble

oz
 :-* :-*

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2004, 15:11:28 »
If things have it, no saving - other than what you've done with the pots. And they can say there till you want them. As we're doing with ours.

Prophylactically, as said, spray healthy things with Bordeaux, weekly. = Tim

gilgamesh

• Half Acre
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2004, 16:39:28 »
Also be careful - don't come home from lottie & go to home toms without changing & washing. Better if you can persuade someone else to water / deshoot / lavish care on home ones to avoid cross infection. Blight's not as bad as club root for spreading, but it's bad enough!
Sumer is a coming in....

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2004, 00:07:25 »
Phew, finally, pics of yucky toms.  One bed full have already been bagged up for the dump as the whole plants were horrible.  Here are some pics of the plants in the other bed.  Is this blight?

The only way I can describe it is, some of the stems have gone black, the leaves have gone all scorched and crispy and black, the fruit, and there was loads, has all gone kind of bruised like, and some of the plants have just collapsed on themselves.  Hope the piccies are clear and you can see what I mean.

wattapain

• Half Acre
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2004, 10:27:47 »
Oh Emma, you poor thing - it looks exactly like my toms 2 years ago think it is blight. I sowed loads of seeds - too many for my weeny garden -  so gave lots of plants away - then mine all went like yours and all the ones I'd given away  were fine!! I was absolutely gutted.
But at least your garden ones are OK so some small consolation.  :'(
Terri

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2004, 11:53:20 »
eek - I noticed a little bit of scorching-type thing on the leaves of one of my tom plants.

I cannot lose my toms - they are the only thing that has grown well this year.
gone to pot :D

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal