Author Topic: Propogating currants  (Read 1181 times)

Squashmad

• Half Acre
Propogating currants
« on: May 02, 2008, 14:32:44 »
I grow Black, White and Red currants on one of my allotments. In the past I have propogated them from cuttings, but this year I've noticed there are masses of seedlings under each bush.

Can I pot some up and get good plants?? My RHS book only suggests propogating by cuttings. ??  :( :

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
Re: Propogating currants
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2008, 14:36:52 »
Can I pot some up and get good plants?? My RHS book only suggests propogating by cuttings. ??

As with all seed sown varieties you are not forced to get as good a quality plant/s as the parent whereas with cuttings you will.

You could plant up a few in a nursery bed and see what you get!

davholla

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2008, 14:41:39 »
They do not come true from seed, but could be a nice new variety.

Squashmad

• Half Acre
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2008, 19:15:49 »
Thanks for that - I might have a play with it - depends if I have any space left!! (I have a bit of a problem with seed buying  :-[)

teresa

• Hectare
  • Happy gardening
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2008, 19:43:14 »
I thought I had a flowering current  growing ( thanks to the local birds droppings) but it ended up a black current 6ft away from my bushes at home. It is a strong bush and did fruit last year but the birds got them before me. I netted ( using curtain nets) the main ones not the new one but it looked fine. Now whether mine is seed from my own plants or someone elses who knows it must have been the birds?
Good luck with yours.

PurpleHeather

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2008, 05:34:11 »
I pot up everything. If you do not need fruit bushes of this sort, there is no reason why you can not plant them into a hedge on common land/public land for the wild life in the area.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal