Author Topic: YOUR VOTE  (Read 2659 times)

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
Re: YOUR VOTE
« Reply #20 on: May 01, 2008, 22:12:26 »
Well my Franchise is now exercised... I have been able to vote since 1979, and to my knowledge have never helped elect an MP or Councillor... ( Don't vote it only encourages them  ;D ) maybe this time? Remember Hitler was voted in by a democratic majority... even though more votes were cast for the other candidates... it split the vote ... 17Mill for and 290 Mill for the rest!
 :-X

tonybloke

• Hectare
  • Gorleston 0n sea, Norfolk
« Reply #21 on: May 01, 2008, 22:14:31 »
there's never a box for 'None of the Above'!
You couldn't make it up!

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
« Reply #22 on: May 01, 2008, 22:18:06 »
Good thread, Betula.   :)

Like others I always vote because women before me suffered for my right to do so.  But being in London it was a difficult call for me today.  So it was a tactical vote for me today I'm afraid, as opposed to one from the heart. Anything to keep the London Standard's preferred candidate out.

G x
'The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.'

redimp

• Hectare
  • Colonia Domitiana Lindensium, Flavia Caesariensis
« Reply #23 on: May 01, 2008, 22:20:35 »
Well my Franchise is now exercised... I have been able to vote since 1979, and to my knowledge have never helped elect an MP or Councillor... ( Don't vote it only encourages them  ;D ) maybe this time? Remember Hitler was voted in by a democratic majority... even though more votes were cast for the other candidates... it split the vote ... 17Mill for and 290 Mill for the rest!
 :-X
That was a pure form of PR using a list system - it does tend to let minority parties in as parties that get 40% of the vote need the smaller parties to form a government and the small parties have a good chance of getting some seats no matter who they are.  Under the constituency based preference vote, the general balance would also reflect the vote - 40% would again achieve about 40% (but not necessarily exactly) of the seats (unlike 40% of the vote achieving 60% of the seats as now) but there would be a threshold that would have to be achieved to get one seat in a constituency which would prevent the really small parties gaining the foothold that the Nazi party achieved which meant they were then able to go on and increase their share further down the line.
Lotty @ Lincoln (Lat:53.24, Long:-0.52, HASL:30m)

http://www.abicabeauty

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal