Author Topic: Blackbird Fledglings  (Read 1570 times)

Kea

• Hectare
Blackbird Fledglings
« on: April 22, 2008, 17:02:22 »
I was outside this morning hanging my washing on the line when Bob the Blackbird arrived and aggressively chased off all the sparrows.....he routinely chases off anything with feathers including wood pigeons! This time he was more aggressive than usual and he wasn't pleased to see me there either....Usually he's not too bothered. Then there was a lot of fluttering and calling from the bushes and i saw two fledgling blackbirds. I knew Bob and Mrs Bob had been very busy getting mouthfuls of worms lately but i wasn't expecting such big offspring so early. They usually nest in my garden but my fence had to be replaced in February so I had cut down the Clematis armandii they like to nest in but Bob obviously still nested very close.

valmarg

• Hectare
Re: Blackbird Fledglings
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2008, 15:09:43 »
You're quite a bit earlier than us in North Staffs.  We obviously have young blackbirds nearby, the way the food we throw out is being mixed with 'a bit of worm', and being flown out of the garden. ;D

valmarg

Barnowl

• Hectare
  • getting back to my roots [SW London]
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2008, 16:36:01 »
Sadly found a couple of dead ones in the garden - quite large for the time of year but not fledged.  OH reckons the jay was responsible but they hadn't been pecked. I suspect they may have died during the cold patch last week.

Kea

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2008, 17:00:35 »
i was a bit shocked when I saw how advanced. They seem to be weaned now I've seen them about feeding themselves.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal