Author Topic: Fig tree again and pix  (Read 1552 times)

GrannieAnnie

• Hectare
  • in Delaware, USA growing zone 6 or 7
Fig tree again and pix
« on: May 09, 2008, 23:20:50 »
Are these considered small brown turkey figs? Should I let them ripen? To me they look half decent but the talk was to remove the winter ones. ???  Also, the second picture (which I'll have to find and add into this post in a few minutes )  shows the length of it- where should I prune it?

The handle on your recliner does not qualify as an exercise machine.

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
Re: Fig tree again and pix
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2008, 00:02:41 »
I wouldn't remove them!  They are a great size, and so long as the tree is in the sun and kept watered, you will be able to pick them and enjoy them soon enough.  You lucky thing, I am very jealous indeedy.

GrannieAnnie

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2008, 08:02:45 »
Emma Jane, I can't take credit for them since I bought the tree in January with them on it and kept it indoors.

hippydave

• Hectare
  • Retford. Notts
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2008, 08:15:51 »
Well im jelous my figs are just 3/4" dia yours look like giants compared to mine, and i think that it wont be long before your enjoying them if the sun keeps shining.
you normaly only remove the small ones that are left during the colder months because they wont ripen but your lucky just leave those.

hippy.
you may be a king or a little street sweeper but sooner or later you dance with de reaper.

loopyloulou

• Acre
  • oh my... thats a LOT of couch grass....
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2008, 21:34:36 »
i dont think it needs pruning or fig removing unless ur gonna eat them! they look scrum! will have to take a snap of mine, its got leaf buds on the tips of its branches (the non broken ones this is, lol!) and green buds a bit further below that look like tiny figs all green and ickle, so i know its happy where it is, just have to hope we get some figs that are half as decent as yours!
i think i like it here :D now who can tell me how to grow my own chocolate???

PurpleHeather

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2008, 23:12:44 »
Are you gonna eat em or frame em?

Lost in France

• Not So New ...
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2008, 15:24:37 »
When we were in UK (Yorkshire), we had a fig tree growing against a South wall and it produced loads of fruit. We never picked off the fruit as suggested and the crop never seemed to suffer! I think the key is to plant in a place where root growth is restricted. Great for rough stoney soil! We haven't planted a fig here yet...too much else to do first, but would go for the Brown Turkey again as it was great!

Good luck Grannie Annie!

Judi

Nadia

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2008, 16:15:07 »
Hello GA

I have a brown turky tree for a few years and have never removed any fruits from it.  It has increased in size and produces a great crop.  I eat some and give away much more. 

Just enjoy it

Nadia  :)
When you live you see, but when you walk you see more

realfood

• Hectare
    • Grow Your Own Fruit and Vegetables
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2008, 23:35:55 »
I have included some notes on growing figs on my web site at http://www.growyourown.info/page141.html
For a quick guide for the Growing, Storing and Cooking of your own Fruit and Vegetables, go to www.growyourown.info

GrannieAnnie

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2008, 03:27:30 »
Thank you for all the comments- guess the figs get to stay!
 I'll repot into a large tub that another tree came in so it can come indoors in the winter instead of trying to bend and bury it below the frost line.
If they ripen before the squirrels eat them, we'll let you know how they taste.

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2008, 07:43:27 »
Sometimes plants have a last effort when they are about to give up. And if I was your fig stick in a little pot like that I would give up. They are trees and like to be in the ground not in pots. If it don't do outside, it ain't meant to be.  I am lucky in having a reasonably mild climate. But if my plants cannot put up with being in the ground they go, I do build areas with their own micro climates which is not hard for anybody to do.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal