Author Topic: Autumn/Winter veggies  (Read 1393 times)

Mimi

• Hectare
  • Pretty in Pink
Autumn/Winter veggies
« on: July 23, 2004, 16:23:22 »
As it is my first year with an allotment does anyone have advice about what I should be considering for autumn and winter veggies.. Do I need to start things off now in the ground or in modules.  What sort of veggies should I be thinking of ???
Take time to stop and smell the flowers.

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
Re:Autumn/Winter veggies
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2004, 16:34:53 »
What did I say yesterday about making this a 'sticky topic'?

Mimi - as a start, look back in Basics to yesterday's chatter on 'allotment virgins'. Then go way back to new allotment queries - there's yards of info. = Tim

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
Re:Autumn/Winter veggies
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2004, 17:56:59 »
Well Mimi, I have in modules, spring cabbages, kohl rabi, brocolli and cauli.  I have sown late carrots, radishes, spring onions and more lettuce which I can cover with fleece or cloches if the weather gets real bad.  They will be ready late summer, and carry on hopefully through the winter.  I have also sown another 2 rows of late peas - number one daughter can't get enough of those sugar sweet peas.  I have ordered spuds for Christmas day, along with my winter planted onions, shallots and garlic (white rot and rust permitting!)  I will be sowing my early broad beans in late Oct/early Nov for planting out when they are big and strong and the soil is workable.  There are some beans which can be sown up until the end of Aug for a late autumn crop.  And I guess, rather than leave beds vacant, you can sow green manure as they are currently doing on our site, which will stay put through the winter.  Hope all of this gabble helps.  I am determined that as much as my plot as possible will be in use year round producing something.  ;D

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal