Author Topic: Advice Please  (Read 7738 times)

Uncle Joshua

• Hectare
    • nikkershaw.net
Advice Please
« on: April 27, 2008, 20:38:45 »
I just bought a Gardman hexagonal walk in greenhouse.....

I'm going to grow tomatoes and cucumbers in it but as Iv'e never grown in a greenhouse before can anyone advise me as to what else I could grow in there? also as these type things tend to be lightweight what is the best way to  anchor it down?

posie

• Hectare
  • Slowly winning??
Re: Advice Please
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2008, 21:06:04 »
I had a normal square one and unfortunately no way of anchoring mine direct to ground as my garden is paved, so weighted it with compost bags, growbags, anything I could get my hands on really......however.......what I found is that if the wind got under it then it could lift the upper poles enough to pull them out whilst leaving the anchored poles where they were and in some cases, they got bent.  If you can use guy ropes and anchor into ground you probably won't have that problem but I would weight it as well if you can and try and put it with its back to the wall for added shelter.  Hope that helps.    :)
What I lack in ability and experience, I make up for in sheer enthusiasm!!!

weedgrower

• Half Acre
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2008, 10:26:36 »
you could grow peppers and chilli's. if you dont have a lot of floor space you can grow dwarf varieties such as black pearl, demon red (chilli's) or tequila  sunrise peppers. you could grow carrots in buckets, and leeks, starting them of in the greenhouse and putting them outside when it warms up. you could grow strawberries and tomatoes in hanging baskets. thats all i can think of at the moment but i'm sure others will come up with ideas
takes over your life doesn't it

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2008, 16:39:01 »
What are the winds like in W.Yorkshire Mick, I would put it against a wall or shed, mine was destroyed by the winds here in London last year so I'm still waiting to put my new one up.  ???    :-\   ;D ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

Uncle Joshua

• Hectare
    • nikkershaw.net
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2008, 19:41:24 »
The wind isn't great here Kev, here's what happened to the one I had last year....

I'm going to wait until this weekend before putting it up.

Uncle Joshua

• Hectare
    • nikkershaw.net
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2008, 22:17:11 »
Sorry to double post but....

I went up to the allotment today and the zip had broken on one side of the greenhouse today and the garden centre claim I was negligent  by zipping it up when I knew it was going to be windy so won't replace it.

betula

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2008, 22:23:18 »
How old is it?It has to be fit for purpose.Did you speak to the manager?

Uncle Joshua

• Hectare
    • nikkershaw.net
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2008, 22:33:37 »
How old is it?It has to be fit for purpose.Did you speak to the manager?

It would be a mont old on the 27th, we did speak to the manager yes, it was he who said I WAS negligent !!!

betula

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2008, 22:40:08 »
Well go back and tell him it was not fit for purpose and you really have no choice but you will have to report the matter to the local trading standards office.Be polite but firm :)

ceres

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2008, 22:58:29 »
The purpose of a greenhouse is to protect plants from inclement weather.  If you can't close the door in inclement weather, then it's not fit for purpose.  Did they tell you at time of sale that you must keep the door open if it's windy?  Are there any printed instructions that say this?  If not, go back and demand your money back.  The relevant legislation is the Sale of Goods Act 1979 (amended by the Sale & Supply of Goods Act 1994).

Here's a useful summary of your statutory rights:

http://www.number-10.gov.uk/output/Page1428.asp

and the full legislation is here:

http://www.berr.gov.uk/consumers/buying-selling/sale-supply/sale-of-good-act/page8600.html

dtw

• Hectare
  • What grows, You decide!
    • Classic & Cheesy TV adverts and other funny stuff
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2008, 00:34:01 »
Don't anchor it down with the hoops on the cover, poke a small hole through the plastic and tie
the guy ropes directly to the frame.
The cover will last longer if the guy ropes are attached to the frame, as the cover isn't rubbing
against the frame as much.

I have one of the 6x4x6ft which costs £49.99 from B&Q, they do the new covers for £12.99
which includes the guy ropes and pegs. Dunno why the big price difference though.

It's best located in a non-windy spot, mine is in my garden with two of the ropes attached
to the house and two in the ground, and some rocks holding down the edges.

Watermelon is a good choice for a greenhouse, let it wander amongst the other plants.

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2008, 08:58:05 »
Remember our Keter gh last year. It blew away. Fortunately the supplier in the midlands gave us a full refund. Not all companies are as understanding. The shed we bought last year from Argos has developed quite wide gaps between the tongue and groove. Tony phoned Argos and they had stopped using the company. Told Tony to write to them. I think it is they that should contact them
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2008, 09:47:56 »
The makers of these plastic greenhouses must be laughing all the way to the bank! I've often thought of buying one to extend my growing space, but given the number of reports on A4A alone about them ripping/breaking/blowing away, I don't think I'll bother!

luckydog

• Half Acre
  • Montgomeryshire
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2008, 14:41:49 »
The makers of these plastic greenhouses must be laughing all the way to the bank! I've often thought of buying one to extend my growing space, but given the number of reports on A4A alone about them ripping/breaking/blowing away, I don't think I'll bother!

After buying one of the cheap plastic greenhouses last year that was useless, I splashed out on one of these.  I know they are more expensive, but much sturdier, & the cover is a lot thicker with a chunky zip.  Have secured it against a wall & no problems so far. 

http://www.webbsdirect.co.uk/product-Gardman-5-Tier-Growhouse-With-Heavy-Duty-Cover-431587/

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2008, 14:59:18 »
I think that's the same one I bought for my sister-in-law last Christmas at her request!). Haven't dared to ask whether it's still in one piece,maybe I will if you reckon it's sturdier than most!

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2008, 15:31:27 »
I got a real 8x10 aluminium greenhouse cheaply, that had benn rolled around a couple of plots by the wind.......  ;D

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2008, 15:47:59 »
I do use the cheap 3 and 4 tier greenhouses but only use them with their covers on for extra insulation in the big GH, I use them after as stands for hardening off the plants.
                             I want em saying

Uncle Joshua

• Hectare
    • nikkershaw.net
« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2008, 17:05:23 »
We rang Gardman today and they are posting us a new cover and some brackets for free so from now on I'll deal directly with them.

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #18 on: May 27, 2008, 18:33:24 »
good for you mate
                             I want em saying

Hyacinth

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #19 on: May 27, 2008, 18:56:57 »
Well done Mick 8) Spect you've just got to be aware from now on that these placcy houses have an inbuilt fault feature (reading experiences on here, that is).

It's because of what I read here that after buying two 4-tier cheapo houses from Aldi a while back, I use them only as hardening-off shelves for stuff I've grown in the little glass g/house & the placcy covers are still packed up. And then, re-reading stuff here, I forewent the very bottom shelf which is almost at ground level, by building bridges of bricks over the bottom side bits. What with those, and tent pegs (Wilko's best 8)) I reckon I might, just might, have secured them...

Thing, is, they're going to be a B. to move into the g/house during the winter as Shirl does.....praps I should buy some more specially for that (sigh) ;D

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal