Author Topic: Fraudulent Ebay Emails  (Read 1737 times)

Mimi

• Hectare
  • Pretty in Pink
Fraudulent Ebay Emails
« on: July 23, 2004, 16:18:15 »
Just thought I would warn any Ebay users out there of a fraud Email that I had this morning.  It was titled Safeharbor Department Notice, and warned me that someone had made fraudulent bids from my site and if I didnt verify my account and update my details (which included my credit card details) they would assume that my account was the fraudulent one and cancel it... I contacted Ebay and they responded immediatley with an email to tell me that basically it was a scam and they are looking into it....  You have been warned... always pays to be careful.  Have to say it has put me off using Ebay if this sort of thing is going on.
Take time to stop and smell the flowers.

teresa

• Hectare
  • Happy gardening
Re:Fraudulent Ebay Emails
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2004, 00:43:43 »
Hi Mimi,
Like many others I too get loads of these and others claiming they need to up date my info and they will suspend me if I dont.
Well hit the forward button and send them all back to spoof@ebay.co.uk and let them sort it out.
So many get caught out by giving them there card details beware its just someone after your money scary

john_miller

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2004, 03:30:45 »
After having some cheques stolen (and cashed) from me once I am very reluctant to let anyone know anything about my bank account or credit/access card. If I ever wish to bid on something where the seller stipulates paypal only I will e-mail and ask if they will take a postal order. Not once has the seller said no. This is a lot more secure than giving out credit card or bank account details on what is a medium increasingly open to violation. It takes longer but patience can be virtuous, so I have been told.  

Yellow Petals

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2004, 16:45:35 »
I got scammed  :(  But lucky for me, Ebay were on the ball.

I received a VERY authentic looking Ebay email last week telling me that the routine updating of my details was required (I have had this before - officially) so I checked the email and it had all the makings and markings of an official ebay email.  I clicked the link, it took me to the update page and I did it (yes, including debit card details) and ok'd it.  About an hour later, I had the exact same email and I then became suspicious, sent a reply and heard nothing.  A couple of days later Ebay mailed me and said they thought that somebody other than me was trying to access my account (I guess they also keep IP records) so they'd changed the password and locked everybody out - including me.  They gave me steps to follow to re-activate my account (using my secret questions etc) and I did so.  I then accessed paypal to make sure nothing untoward had happened there, which it hadn't.  I then contacted the bank and had said card cancelled.  That's the first time in eight years of being online that I've been caught out.  These *&^$(  fraudsters are getting far too good at this lark.  But Hooray for Ebay for being so quick off the mark.

Sam.

Mimi

• Hectare
  • Pretty in Pink
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2004, 17:19:09 »
Just goes to show you Sam that you cant be too careful. Like John I dont give my details to anyone now and I am also tempted to only pay by cheque or postal order.  They are so clever and everything looks official.  I just copied the email and sent it back to be confirmed by ebay and they knew right away that it was a fraud.  Take care out there.
Take time to stop and smell the flowers.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal