Author Topic: Waterlogged shed . grrr.  (Read 1688 times)

Flunky

• Acre
  • In Sunny Narfook.
Waterlogged shed . grrr.
« on: May 01, 2008, 11:20:55 »
Went to lottie today, horrors of all horrors there is water everywhere in my shed.

Does anyone have any tips for roof replacement / repair ?

albacore1854

• Half Acre
Re: Waterlogged shed . grrr.
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2008, 11:45:09 »
First ensure that the roof substrate is in good nick, if it looks iffy replace it, no point putting lipstick on a pig.

Buy the best quality felt you can afford, cut it oversize and leave it in the sun to soften before fitting

The first and second lengths score two lines, one the  width of the bottom support rail, and one twice the width on the face edge with a blunt knife, or the reverse of the blade and a straight edge.fold these back on themselves.repeat the process for the side rails.

You will now have a double thickness piece of felt the width of the bottom support rail, and the same on each side..Slid the felt on to the roof, and butt up tight to the folds.Fix using galvanised glout nails from the middle of both the  bottom support rail and the top of the felt outwards.fixing the middle of the sides afterwards, working out to the top and bottom of the sides.

Repeat for the other side.

For the ridge cap you just need to do the side folds, and lightly mold it to the ridge shape, before dropping it on the top, and again fixing from the middle out.
Proud to be a Trelawny man!

Flunky

• Acre
  • In Sunny Narfook.
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2008, 12:28:58 »
Wow, thats pretty comprehensive, thank you very much.

Its my fault, I have been and had another look. There appears to be some missing supoort timbers. Wich cannot of helped. I will start there and then check felt, What timber would you use for the roof ? currently chipboard !! and I feel it may now be..... well not very useable. Do you think its ok to let it dry out ?

albacore1854

• Half Acre
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2008, 12:37:32 »
If its chipboard and its got wet, odds are it will blow apart.So its a waste of your time trying to go over the top of it again.

Shuttering ply, stirling board, anything like that will be ok if you are scrounging it

Alternatively Wickes do Onduline corrugated sheet for about eight quid a sheet, which will outlast a felted roof, and may become more economical if you are pricing in the cost of ply, etc.

albacore1854

• Half Acre
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2008, 12:41:22 »
Forgot to add about cutting the corners in.

Once you have the felt on and it is fixed, you will have to ''pucker'' the corners.Similar to present wrapping, but you cut a single layer of felt at 45 degrees, then tuck it back up and under the double layer.If you get to that point you will understand !

Flunky

• Acre
  • In Sunny Narfook.
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2008, 12:55:41 »
Now its interesting you say about corregated sheet. I "recycled" a shed for a neighbour which had 6 10ft sheets of corregated tin. This would be a more than adequate amount for my roof.

Would this a better a better option ? are there any down side to using tin, I cant think of any apart noise when it rains or temperature. Any idea ?

albacore1854

• Half Acre
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2008, 12:57:45 »
You'd need to wire in the eaves to ensure livestock doesn't get in.

Any additional holes in can be sealed using black bitchy, or silicone.If you have it, it'll do the job, and its cheap.Go with it.

tonybloke

• Hectare
  • Gorleston 0n sea, Norfolk
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2008, 15:51:49 »
If you arrange the overhang  on the front you can have a veranda!
You couldn't make it up!

Flunky

• Acre
  • In Sunny Narfook.
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2008, 16:19:49 »
If you arrange the overhang  on the front you can have a veranda!

Trying to get some votes to see which is most popular. Either or I think the veranda is good idea thanks.

Columbus

• Hectare
    • A Duel of Delight and Desperation Index page
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2008, 18:56:50 »
Hi Flunky,

When I built my potting shed I included an overhang in the front, but it pointed into the prevailing wind. Although all the timber in the roof was well fixed I nearly lost the roof sheets and and to cut the overhang in half. I also fixed fencing wire to the side of the shed all the way over the top and fixed again on the other side.

I still have a verandah with a herb trough, a bench and a bird box.

Col
... I am warmed by winter sun and by the light in your eyes.
I am refreshed by the rain and the dew
And by thoughts of you...

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal