Author Topic: daft place to nest  (Read 1661 times)

adrianhumph

• Acre
  • Camberley, Surrey.
daft place to nest
« on: April 24, 2008, 11:16:22 »
 Hi all,
          Please see the attached photo of a collard dove attempting to build it`s nest on the arm of my satellite dish :-\
 The male keeps bringing in twigs, which the female attempts to start the nest off with, & of course they just fall down.
 This has been going on for 2 days now, the questions are should I leave them alone ?  should I actively discourage them, bearing in mind the futility of their efforts?  If by chance they succeed the bird mess that I will have to dodge every time I leave the house  is also a concern, as it is right above my path. 
 Any thoughts.
                          Adrian.

Old bird

• Hectare
Re: daft place to nest
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2008, 11:19:19 »
What a shame!

Reminds me of a pair of ducks turned up on the grassy parkland by my house, she laid an egg plop not in a nest just on the grass!  Didn't have a clue and apparently it is the juvenile birds that sometimes do this - they think they are adult and want to have a home and babies - but can't work out the practicalities.

I would gently dissuade them before they start laying eggs because it will be messy and I am sure that there are better places for them to nest!

Good luck either way!

Old Bird

;D

twinkletoes

• Hectare
Re: daft place to nest
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2008, 11:28:34 »
This seems to be the "in" place for collared doves to nest this year - although I noticed a few last year too.  Loads around where I live are trying it.
twinkletoes

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal