Author Topic: You are going to hate this.  (Read 1308 times)

ACE

• Hectare
You are going to hate this.
« on: April 24, 2008, 08:45:14 »
Yesterday the scaffolders came to take down the scaffolding. Naturally I asked for all the rubbish boards to give to the folks down the allotments who like making raised beds.

Ok they said we will put them in a pile for you.

Then the health and safety bloke turned up and made them run a circular saw through them and I had to put them in the skip. Just in case they got back into the good pile.

What a waste, I then filled up the skip with all the junk we have been saving 'in case it comes in handy'. Old rotovators,strimmers, broken garden tools, old tarpaulins, you name it, I skipped it.

We now have room to build two new gardens, but not today, I'm knackered from filling the skip.

Just a few hours work this evening assisting a talk on hardy plants.

elvis2003

• Hectare
Re: You are going to hate this.
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2008, 09:18:38 »
oh no,what an awful waste,i think i would have been shedding girlish tears...H and S gone mad
when the going gets tough,the tough go digging

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2008, 09:50:01 »
I went round all the scaffolding firms in town and got the same reply.. no.. damaged boards have to be destroyed in case...
 >:(

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2008, 11:09:11 »
I shall have to have a chat with my OH mates who own a scaffolding firm methinks......... ;)

If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

betula

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2008, 11:55:49 »
I paid £3 something each for 8 ft gravel boards from B and Q.

Had no luck from the skips :)

Why are they called gravel boards? ???

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2008, 12:08:56 »

Why are they called gravel boards? ???
the

They are usually used for gravel path edging, diffent heights depending how much rubble you put in as a base.

heyho

• Not So New ...
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2008, 13:02:44 »
I rang around and got the same reply 'no sorry we don't sell off 2nd hand boards'. Then I asked a mate who has an account with a scaffold firm and 'amazingly' he came back with 14 x 13ft boards for me. Had to sign a disclaimer on his letter head saying what they were being used for. So if you know anyone that might be your answer.

Daft thing is they are all in excellent condition but had a bit of plaster attached to them (which easily scraped off).

Need a Leek

• Half Acre
  • Villa Villan and a two Lottie Nut
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2008, 20:28:49 »
Don't ask them if they sell them :-X, this Saturday I am picking up a fair load of boards from a local firm and I am going to buy a breakfast for the boss and his crew if you know what I mean. He sorted out so many for me I now have to ditch my trailer and borrow a trailer for a car to go on so I can fit them on as some boards are 13ft long. It costs these guys cash to get shot of old boards so go for the eggs bacon and bangers with a cuppa approach.

Cheers
Tony
Villa villan and a two lottie nut...

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal