Author Topic: finally got my allotment  (Read 1465 times)

MPG

• Quarter Acre
finally got my allotment
« on: February 03, 2008, 17:50:26 »

after a shortish wait got my plot on choice allotments in hastings, i didn't get chance to take a pic first time i went down there as it was raining, but here is 1 i took the other day i have strimmed it and have just started digging, i have started to put seeds in at home on window sills, in what i call mini greenhouses lol, so this is to say hi to all, hope i not put this in the wrong section.

pete10

• Half Acre
Re: finally got my allotment
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2008, 18:06:06 »

Hi and welcome , Looks like you have made a good start already . Must have been real cold
 that from memory the coast does not suffer to much heavy frost.

MPG

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2008, 18:14:15 »
yes was freezing on sat morning i cycled  the mile to allotment, i dug that part last wk but had to lift the carpet and dig a bit more, i broke a tool as ground was so frozen,won't do that again when its fixed, im starting to panic i won't have enough dug in time to plant bit and pieces, but what will be will be, not pushing myself too hard just doing some each time i go.

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2008, 18:32:50 »
Hiya, MPg..welcome to the site..sounds like a good plan..you can still plant some things right through 'til september, chinese leaves etc so I reckon you've lots of time, weather permitting  ;D

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2008, 18:33:58 »
Welcome to the madhouse..
 ;D
You can always plant big things like potatoes or established plants through black plastic this time..
 8)
Hope you really enjoy it!

SMP1704

• Hectare
  • Isleworth, Middlesex
    • Allotment Life
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2008, 19:14:00 »
Hi MPG

I love the look of your greenhouse and backing onto gardens has to help with security.  Of course the obvious next step is to buy the house that backs on to your plot, then you can get started really early!!! ;D

You may not get the whole plot dug this year.  Enjoy what you can get done and promise yourself that you will more done next year.

This is my third year and the first that the whole plot will be in full production.

Enjoy

MPG

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2008, 19:23:35 »
yes would love to, i met the man that used to work the plot next to mine he only lives over the bk, yes i was amazed i had a greenhouse and a shed full of tools, but the greenhouse only has half a roof which will have to be sorted, and the glass needs to be made good as one tap and another bit goes,its only half a plot im just enjoying my time there, im not expecting loads this yr and am hoping next yr will be btr, u never no may have a greenhouse that i can use lol.

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2008, 19:37:19 »
Good luck MPG and wecome to the asylum, now the hard graft begins.  ;D ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

MPG

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2008, 19:00:29 »
i think im getting somewhere slowly but surley as i said not rushing.

sarah

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2008, 19:26:38 »
its looking good there.   

can i suggest that you cover what you have dug so far with weed suppressent or black plastic as youwill find that as soon as the weather warms up youwill get a new crop of weeds which can be demoralising when you have worked so hard.  just remove the cover when youwant to plant or sow. 

good luck with it.  ;)

MPG

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2008, 19:32:37 »
im hoping to sew my onions in next couple of wks i have some cloches prob not spelt that right, was thinking of putting those over? im just finishing digging that part for 2nd time u c my plan was dig it plant it up move onto next bit whilst i could start those bits off in greenhouse if needed, onions and carrots bit later in that one, broad beans,peas and runners in next. but thankyou for advice, was hoping frost wu do bit of work for me first b 4 i start planting. mpg

sarah

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2008, 19:43:28 »
you are quite right and your plan is a good one.  ;)

MPG

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2008, 08:07:27 »
my progress so far not very pro but i am happy with it ;D

tonybloke

• Hectare
  • Gorleston 0n sea, Norfolk
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2008, 15:05:37 »
lokking good, well done!
rgds, tonybloke
You couldn't make it up!

posie

• Hectare
  • Slowly winning??
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2008, 17:23:47 »
You've done a fab job!, wish mine looked that tidy! lol  Keep up the good work and give yourself a pat on the back.  ;D
What I lack in ability and experience, I make up for in sheer enthusiasm!!!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal