Author Topic: keeping those hands clean.  (Read 4794 times)

peasmad

• Quarter Acre
keeping those hands clean.
« on: May 07, 2008, 22:34:13 »
The only thing that keeps my hands clean and 'sparkling' isn't you're real expensive washing up liquid, or them bars of fancy gardeners soap, but a cheap tube of toothpaste and a nail brush, brings the nails up clean and gets the grime out of the cracks.

springbok

• Hectare
Re: keeping those hands clean.
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2008, 22:55:19 »
Gosh, I hope this works.  Will give it a go :)

Thanks for that!! ;D ;D

Ishard

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2008, 08:04:18 »
Toothpaste also cleans up old yellowed upvc window frames like nothing else  ;D

star

• Hectare
  • Northampton, sm greenhouse, heated propagator
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2008, 22:46:15 »
Ooh.........I like this top tip.

Thanks Ishard :D
I was born with nothing and have most of it left.

Ishard

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2008, 08:12:00 »
You are welcome Star  :)

If I told you why it works you would never use toothpaste to clean your teeth again.  ;D

bridgehouse

• Acre
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2008, 08:38:03 »

Thanks for the tip will try it on my nails and kitchin window frame.

Bridgehouse

Crystalmoon

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2008, 09:01:26 »
Thanks for this tip I was just going to ask how I could get the 'just been gardening' look off my hands & nails  ;)

littlebabybird

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2008, 23:40:04 »
You are welcome Star  :)

If I told you why it works you would never use toothpaste to clean your teeth again.  ;D

come on, do please tell.

lbb

Baccy Man

• Hectare
  • Powys, Wales
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2008, 02:01:16 »
Toothpaste also cleans up old yellowed upvc window frames like nothing else  ;D

PVC (polyvinyl chloride) slowly breaks down into HCL (hydrochloric acid) over time in sunlight which is what turns it yellow. Toothpaste contains sodium monoflurophosphate which reacts with the hydrochloric acid and creates hydrofluoric acid, which is the strongest acid that we know of. This dissolves the top layer of the pvc leaving you with perfectly clean new looking window frames.

The danger with toothpaste is if you swallow too much of it. While there's no harm in swallowing a small amount of toothpaste (about what you'd use for brushing), if you ate a whole tube of toothpaste you would need to make a trip to casualty to get your stomach pumped.
When you swallow toothpaste, the sodium monoflurophosphate reacts with the naturally occuring hydrochloric acid in your stomach, which in turn creates hydrofluoric acid and causes the following symptoms:

Severe pain in the mouth
Fever
Inability to breathe as the throat swells shut
Severe throat pain
Severe abdominal pain
Vomiting
Rapid drop in blood pressure
Ventricular fibrillation

The fluoride in the toothpaste is also pretty toxic in large amounts, almost as toxic as arsenic or lead. Most young children could not get through a whole tube of toothpaste without vomiting because of its reaction with stomach acids. The condition of fluorosis is far more than cosmetic. It is indicative of the deleterious effects of fluoride on the body. Fluoride contributes to bone degeneration and even brain function, lowering the average IQ of areas where fluorosis is known to proliferate. It has even been shown to contribute to cancer.
Other ingredients in the toothpaste, such as sorbitol (a non-sugar sweetener) and sodium lauryl sulfate (which makes toothpaste "lather"). Both cause abdominal pain and diarrhea if consumed in large amounts.

littlebabybird

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2008, 02:25:43 »
ewww, glad i use Dentaforce
lbb

Rhubarb Thrasher

• Hectare
  • Dark Side Of The Rhubarb
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2008, 05:55:21 »
for anyone worried about the interesting effects of hydrofluoric acid, here is a way guaranteed to get your hands clean - make your own bread. There's nothing like kneading dough for getting dirt from under your fingernails. Wholemeal loaf anyone?

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2008, 09:30:03 »
 ;D ;D @ RT

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2008, 20:20:28 »
I rub washing up liquid to my hands before starting the work ..most of the muck will wash off afterwards very easily...

Emagggie

• Hectare
  • Out to lunch.
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2008, 20:28:51 »
Whilst we're on about toothpaste, I find it relieves the itch from insect bites too, just rub it on neat.
Will certainly go and give the nails a scrub too-they look disgusting after an afternoon of gloves on and then off.
Smile, it confuses people.

grannyjanny

• PMs
  • Hectare
  • Lives in Cheshire. Light sandy soil. Loves no dig.
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2008, 21:06:29 »
I find washing my hair gets my hands & nails clean. I don't have clean nails very often.
Janet.

star

• Hectare
  • Northampton, sm greenhouse, heated propagator
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2008, 20:58:44 »
Someone told me many years ago to keep your nails clean.....scrape some softened bar soap with your nails. Leaving a bit of soap under each nail.

DO NOT TRY THIS!!!!!!

The soap sets hard under your nails and cuts into the skin under the nails. Not only is it a painful cut, but soap in wounds also stings. >:(
I was born with nothing and have most of it left.

betula

• Hectare
« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2008, 21:12:01 »
I find washing my hair gets my hands & nails clean. I don't have clean nails very often.
Janet.

Yes I agree,hairwashing is the only way mine get truly clean.

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2008, 21:29:43 »

Yes I agree,hairwashing is the only way mine get truly clean.
[/quote]

Oh good!! I will wash my hair with extra vigour in the morning, hairdresser comes tomorrow. I just cannot wear any sort of gloves. My son gave me a pair of flimsy things he wears so that he doesn't get any marks on the window blinds that he  manufactures. I only got one as far as my wrist and felt sick!!!!
As I have the builders in I have spent 4 days in the garden (no point in doing housework ;D) and my nails are a disgrace.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal