Author Topic: First time growing Sweet Peppers, need a bit of advice.  (Read 10042 times)

Chris Graham

• Hectare
  • Stirling, Scotland
    • Backyard
First time growing Sweet Peppers, need a bit of advice.
« on: April 21, 2008, 16:47:48 »
So far I have been lucky and managed to germinate 6 "King of the North" (see here http://www.plantsofdistinction.co.uk/acatalog/Online_Catalog_Pepper_323.html#a0282B)

They are growing really well and I need to transplant them out to grow bags soon.

Problem is......how big do they get?  Can I let them grow unsupported as I dont have any more room in the greenhouse I was going to use my cold frame (see pic below).  Dont really have much info on these plants, but have heard they can be grown bushy.

Astronomy, Veggies & Beer

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
Re: First time growing Sweet Peppers, need a bit of advice.
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2008, 17:15:49 »

how big do they get? 

Not sure with this particular variety but 18"-24  is not uncommon although some can go up to another 12" higher. So the supporting decision will have to be left until they have grown.

I was going to use my cold frame.. 

Couple of points here and they are ;

You don't have enough space to grow six plants in there I would say two at the most.

Plus there is not much point in using it because they will grow higher than the frame so all in all the frame could be a hindrance rather than a help.

Can I suggest you lay your grow bags along the front of the house wall it look like a warm sunny spot and grow your plants against the wall.

If you need support you could rawlplug fixing points to the wall to form 'tiebacks' and this would support your plants.

To give you an idea of the space I use I put about 8 plants in an 8ft x 2ft bed (see slide show)

Dont really have much info on these plants,

Have a look in here  http://tinyurl.com/yumflv to see how I grow mine.

Chris Graham

• Hectare
  • Stirling, Scotland
    • Backyard
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2008, 18:05:59 »
Thanks TeeGee, always count on you for a great answer.

I think I'll need to grow them outstide then, maybe squeeze a few in the green house at a push.

Need a bigger, garden and greenhouse!  ;)

Astronomy, Veggies & Beer

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2008, 18:13:52 »
Or smaller plants??

PurpleHeather

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2008, 06:45:32 »
They are easy they don't get as tall as tomatoes and you do not have to nip anything out or take off peppers if they get loads of fruit on. They can be harvested and eaten green or ripe, you can freeze the surplus, chopped and use them to colour and flavour dishes .

You should have enough room at the moment to let them stay in the green house because none of the plants will be to their full size yet.

They wont do well out doors unless we suddenly get a prolonged heatwave (dreamon).

You can put them into big (bucket sized) pots and if need be place canes or thin sticks in the pot along the edges then wrap around the canes either plastic, (old shopping bags held together with sticky tape will do) or fleece, making a tube to protect them and give some shelter for a few weeks.

If you put them in your frame, do it in pots and leave the lid open if they get too big, it will still offer the stems a little protection. You can always move pots about, grow bags are restricting so I would fill pots with the contents of the grow bag.

We all grow too much and get disappointed. You could consider one less tomato in the greenhouse and  grow a pepper instead they live quite happily together in my greenhouse.

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2008, 08:07:45 »
how about raising the lid of the coldframe, put a sheet of plastic from your trellis to give a bit more head room ?..just a thought  ;D

antipodes

• Hectare
  • W. France, 5m x 20m (900 ft2)
    • My allotment blog
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2008, 10:44:07 »
Hmmm I am trying sweet peppers this year, so far they have been slow, they are about 2 inches high but look quite healthy. They are indoors for now. It does get warmer here than UK so am hoping to put them outside, maybe with a cloche when just starting off.
But does that sound to you as if they are big enough? I sowed them about 4 weeks ago.
Think manicscousers might have a good idea for you, maybe just a plastic covering will be sufficient
2012 - Snow in February, non-stop rain till July. Blight and rot are rife. Thieving voles cause strife. But first runner beans and lots of greens. Follow an English allotment in urban France: http://roos-and-camembert.blogspot.com

realfood

• Hectare
    • Grow Your Own Fruit and Vegetables
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2008, 20:29:30 »
King of the North grows to about 60 cm in a greenhouse. If you nip out the leading shoot, it will tend to grow more bushy. Do not put them outside before June, and even then they need a cloche.
I usually grow them inside the greenhouse, but last year in Glasgow, I planted the surplus outside with cloche protection and they produced fruit even in the cool year that was last summer. They grew shorter outside, but were very healthy. Then I took them into a sunny window sill over winter and one plant has now set 10 fruit.
For a quick guide for the Growing, Storing and Cooking of your own Fruit and Vegetables, go to www.growyourown.info

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2008, 22:22:33 »
Last year was my first with peppers.  I do not know the variety but only got 5-6 per plant, some tiny.   I am trying Gypsy Pepper F1 variety this year.   They took a while to germinate but all are up and doing well.   My 4 plants are about 3-4 inches high in a cold greenhouse.  Transplanted into 4inch pots last week.  So I reckon I have another 2 weeks or so before they hit the ground. 

I am excited about the prospects of this variety as the write ups have all been good!
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal