Author Topic: Aubergines - how deep?  (Read 1016 times)

blisters

• Quarter Acre
  • Dorset
Aubergines - how deep?
« on: April 21, 2008, 13:51:31 »
I,m due to prick out my Aubergine seedlings which have got a little bit leggy.  Is it OK to plant them deep like toms or will they rot off?

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
Re: Aubergines - how deep?
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2008, 15:03:25 »
Is it OK to plant them deep like toms or will they rot off?

Basically Yes! and this applies to pricking out most plants i.e. plant up to the seed leaves.

Regarding the rotting off! This has nothing to do with depth of planting temperature and watering are the most likely reasons for this.

Don't let them get too cold and water either from below or around the perimeter of the pot. Try not to get water on the plant.

bupster

• Hectare
    • Plot Holes
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2008, 16:24:45 »
I thought it was only toms and chillies you could do this with? There's another discussion somewhere warning against using this method to rescue leggy cucurbits, as the stem will rot rather than throw out root hairs.
For myself I am an optimist - it does not seem to be much use being anything else.

http://www.plotholes.blogspot.com

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2008, 16:49:26 »
There's another discussion somewhere warning against using this method to rescue leggy cucurbits, as the stem will rot rather than throw out root hairs.

Could you link me to it please so I can read it and see if it is about the same thing.

Let me split my reply down a bit further;

I said 'Basically Yes!'

I was aware that ALL plants do not send out more roots for example 'Aubergines 'don't ', but Tomatoes was mentioned, and I knew they did, so I used the word 'Basically' to cover for this and other situations.

I would guess the previous cucurbit thread was about 'mounding' the compost/soil around the stem to create a water shed to prevent neck rot if so, this is what was in my mind when i mentioned;

Try not to get water on the plant.

But I was talking plants generally not just  cucurbits as I know this is the main cause of 'damping off' and I know Aubergines are prone to damping off.

I hope that clarifies my reply.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal