Author Topic: Problem with cauliflowers  (Read 7561 times)

compo49

• Half Acre
Problem with cauliflowers
« on: April 20, 2008, 18:56:33 »
 I planted some cauliflowers last September plenty of leaf and no sign of curds yet ! whats the problem?As times getting on may have to take them out need space for new crops that will be going in!  Have got all year round growing in g/house from seed so will be planting them in next couple of weeks, will i have the same problem do you think? (going to plant them  in a different place of course)

betula

• Hectare
Re: Problem with cauliflowers
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2008, 19:03:58 »
My book says avoid the roscoff varieties as they are only reliable in Devon and Cornwall.

Need a Leek

• Half Acre
  • Villa Villan and a two Lottie Nut
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2008, 19:06:42 »
Sorry I have no idea, I put in some All year round today and this is the first time I have done Cauliflower, fingers crossed eh?.

Cheers
Tony
Villa villan and a two lottie nut...

Thegoodlife

• Half Acre
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2008, 19:30:18 »
i would give them a little longer yet to see what happens, as its not been the warmest of days yet
today i will be growin veg!!

Mr Smith

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2008, 19:33:48 »
I was only talking to an old boy in our local the 'Sugar loaf' and he was lifting Caulies that he put in last July only yesterday :)

Trevor_D

• Hectare
  • north-west London
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2008, 19:40:37 »
It's still too cold. They don't normally start to produce until late April even in a good year. I used to grow a variety called "St George", now discontinued. This year I've got "Mayflower" growing.

compo49

• Half Acre
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2008, 23:14:58 »
qoute. problem with cauliflowers qoute.

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2008, 23:26:17 »
Most cauliflowers do take the best part of the year in the ground.  I read in one of my lottie books that if you can grow caulis then you can grow anything as they are apparently one of, if not the hardest vegetable to grow.
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

davyw1

• Hectare
  • I love My Country
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2008, 08:14:34 »
It would be of some help if we knew what type they are IE Holland Winter or other.
I am now just starting to pull mine now but they were planted in July.
When you wake up on a morning say "good morning world" and be grateful

DAVY

growmore

• Hectare
  • Practice Beats Theory. Don Valley South Yorks
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2008, 10:47:36 »
I think September may be a little late to plant out winter caulies.Mine were  planted out about late May early June ..
If they have plenty of green the curds should develop OK ..
I usually grow winter st George  but last year grew Welcherhams winter, name may be wrong but sounded similar to that ..
Here's one I cut on Saturday ..This was from the end of the row and seemed to have romped on  the others growing in the same row aren't as big or as forward as this was..

« Last Edit: April 29, 2008, 10:50:22 by growmore »
Cheers .. Jim

davyw1

• Hectare
  • I love My Country
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2008, 12:13:34 »
I had to pull a couple today as they are getting to big, again Holland Winter Waltchen..... Hidalgo.

DAVY

compo49

• Half Acre
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2008, 22:38:45 »
Just to let everyone know i went to the allotment today (hadn't been for 5 days due to kitchen refurb) anyway one of the caulis has a curd forming   :) so keep fingers crossed the rest follow,  Don't know what variety they are, but thanks to you all for for your input. Any advice to stop them blowing/going to seed will be appreciated Compo 49.

Trevor_D

• Hectare
  • north-west London
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2008, 15:27:36 »
Any advice to stop them blowing/going to seed will be appreciated Compo 49.

Eat them!

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2008, 21:14:46 »
I usually grow winter st George  but last year grew Welcherhams winter, name may be wrong but sounded similar to that ..
Here's one I cut on Saturday ..This was from the end of the row and seemed to have romped on  the others growing in the same row aren't as big or as forward as this was..

Will have to try some of them! Never ever had any joy half as big as that with caulis.

davyw1

• Hectare
  • I love My Country
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2008, 21:22:52 »
You saying that has made me think i must check, i think they need to be set away now
Holland Winter Waltchen

DAVY

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2008, 22:18:04 »

I have searched for this 'Welcherhams winter' variety and cannot find it.  Could you please post name of variety if you still have it pleeeeeeaaaaaase.   Sorry. Drooling over it....

davyw1

• Hectare
  • I love My Country
« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2008, 22:26:10 »
Here you go KT
Cauliflower 'Walcheren Winter 3 Armado April'  Try DT Browns

DAVY

growmore

• Hectare
  • Practice Beats Theory. Don Valley South Yorks
« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2008, 20:49:50 »
As Davy said "Cauliflower Walcheren Winter 3-Armado April" I got mine from Mr Fothergil.. Winter caulies are a lot easier to grow than summer ones...Only drawback if it is one, is they are in the ground about 10 months .. Just set them  out in some ground which has had  well rotted muck dug in about June or Jul . They are real hardy and seem to take all that winter throws at em .... I usually sprinkle some BFB around em about Late Feb early March ...Others  that I know instead of BFB  sprinkle a bit of sulphate of ammonia around em ..  Cheers Jim .
Cheers .. Jim

compo49

• Half Acre
« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2008, 23:19:26 »
just to let you know went to allotment today and 6 caulis have got curds coming on them now. still waiting for advice re will they blow/go to to seed what to do to avoid it happening .

davyw1

• Hectare
  • I love My Country
« Reply #19 on: May 02, 2008, 07:30:43 »
Compo, you will just have to keep an eye on them they can be be as big a 12" across and pull them at your own judgement. You may have to pull a few in one go and freeze them off.

DAVY

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal