Author Topic: Petunia's and Dahlias from seed  (Read 2016 times)

springbok

• Hectare
Petunia's and Dahlias from seed
« on: April 24, 2008, 17:23:35 »
Another when can I plant out question :)

Every where I have looked I have found that early may is acceptable due to frosts being passed.  According to Metcheck my area isn't scheduled for a frost right up till the middle of May.

With the Dahlias, I have found lots of info about tubers, but not from seed...any experts out there when I can plant both of them out :)

Thanks again

markfield rover

• Hectare
Re: Petunia's and Dahlias from seed
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2008, 17:31:07 »
Not an expert but I would not put my  Dahlias from seed  out until all threat of frost has passed , in the autumn the first  hint of a light frost and the big stong dahlias are gone.

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2008, 17:48:56 »
Some information on growing Dahlias & Petunias from seed here;

Dahlias; http://tinyurl.com/2w8qeu

Petunias; http://tinyurl.com/yok2g8

PurpleHeather

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2008, 07:23:04 »
I grow mine from seed each year and at the moment they are sitting in pots in the unheated greenhouse where they will remain until there is no fear of frost.

Slugs love them . So make sure you do what ever you need to to protect them from providing a buffet for them.

I plant them out inter spaced with asters for a pretty mixed display. They can be cut for an indoor display but watch out for earwings.

sunloving

• Hectare
  • Living on a small holding in Ireland
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2008, 15:28:14 »
Hi
My dads a big dahlia grower and he always leaves the planting out until the third week in may (He lives in sunny blackpool). However he already has rooted dahlia cuttings hardening off in the cold frames outside but is on the watch for frosts with his bubble wrap.
Blackpools quite mild becuase of the warm(ish) sea!
Xsunloving

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal