Author Topic: French beans  (Read 1707 times)

Tenuse

• Acre
French beans
« on: July 22, 2004, 14:06:26 »
OK, I lifted all my shallots (brill!) and garlic (disaster!) and there was this lovely bare bed looking at me.

So I put some french bean seeds in it on Sunday. Do they have enough time to grow and crop? How long do they take to germinate? My seed packet was most unhelpful!!

Ten x
Young, dumb and full of come hither looks.

piglit

• Quarter Acre
  • Tall oaks… from little haycorns grow.
Re:French beans
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2004, 14:22:12 »
I am not an expert by any means but i have got lots of beans this year.  I found they took about 3 days before there were signs of germination and a week before they had leaves but that was sowing them in trays and then planting them out when they had some chance of surviving the onslaught of slugs etc.  They have cropped in about 8 weeks from sowing I think.  

Good luck and I'm sure that the experts will have more info than I can offer.

Piglit
"It is awfully hard to be b-b-brave," said Piglet, "when you are only a Very Small Animal."

Moggle

• Hectare
  • My island home is waiting for me
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2004, 14:34:54 »
My bean packet says sow up until the end of july. I sowed a bunch at the beginning of June, and they are just flowering now - hopefully cropping soon. Also sowed another bunch last weekend.
Lottie-less until I can afford a house with it's own garden.

ALAN HOWELL

• Half Acre
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2004, 15:16:38 »
You should be ok I reckon..you can always fleece em if you get too close to frost time....Alan
I GOT A LOTTA LOTTIE

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2004, 16:12:06 »
I'm sure Marshalls are selling french beans to sow in late summer for winter/christmas cropping.  

Tenuse

• Acre
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2004, 16:54:30 »
Oh goody!! No signs of germination yet, but I have put pop bottle cloches around them to protect them from the Eeeevil Slugs that I have in abundance.

Cross fingers for a warm autumn!!

Ten x
Young, dumb and full of come hither looks.

cleo

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2004, 19:01:39 »
Give it a go-I sow all sorts of stuff after the suggested time-sometimes it fails,but when it works ;D

Stephan

Multiveg

• Hectare
  • Oops, been gone a while, but still allotmenting.
    • Forum
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2004, 19:52:09 »
I have a packet of french bean seeds that can be sown upto (and including) August.
Allotment Blog - http://multiveg.wordpress.com/
Musings of a letter writer, stamp user and occasional Postcrosser - http://correspondencefan.blogspot.co.uk/

Derekthefox

• read only
  • Hectare
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2004, 21:03:52 »
Think I will jump on the bandwagon then, as I have half a packet of borlotti beans left and plenty of space . . .

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal