Author Topic: Grey Squirrel Hunter  (Read 4841 times)

Kea

• Hectare
Grey Squirrel Hunter
« on: April 15, 2008, 13:15:28 »
I just want to draw your attention to this article.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7347828.stm

I've have just sent a comment to the BBC supporting Mr Parker's cause and pointing out that sometimes conservation does involved killing, so putting 'conservationist' in quotes to show they don't think real conservationists kill is incorrect.

If people have a problem with culling introduced species that cause the demise of indigenous species then I'm going on a crusade to stop culling of the NZ flat worm...even though i have never seen one. After all it is just the same as the Grey Squirrel.

ACE

• Hectare
Re: Grey Squirrel Hunter
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2008, 15:36:30 »
We don't have greys here, only reds. But sometimes there is a scare that one has arrived and they set traps to catch it to humanely destroy it.

Old bird

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2008, 16:13:16 »
Wow Ace aren't you lucky.

We have the real nuisance grey squirrels here and they are a pain the the proverbial!

My dogs are both totally neurotic about them and go mad in the woods after them.  The labrador even managed to catch and kill one.  They are a total pest here and I have seen squirrel traps set up in trees.  These are not the humane ones these are ones that if the animal escapes it will be maimed and possibly lose a leg or tail or whatever.

They are mostly called tree rats round here.

I would love to see a live red squirrel.  Never have yet.  Mind hopefully I still have some time!

old Bird :o

star

• Hectare
  • Northampton, sm greenhouse, heated propagator
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2008, 16:57:04 »
Im with you Kea, I do think they should be culled, though its probably an impossible task. There has been talk of hormones to make the greys sterile, but I dont think the scientists are anywhere close to developing it yet.

I have mentioned on another thread about squirrel and chips. They are being served in all the best places apparently ;)
I was born with nothing and have most of it left.

Barnowl

• Hectare
  • getting back to my roots [SW London]
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2008, 17:06:57 »
It's like the RSPB trying to protect corvids like magpies. They've apparently, for all their twitching credentials, never seen a magpie moving down a hedge systematically taking out eggs and fledglings from all the other birds nests.

redimp

• Hectare
  • Colonia Domitiana Lindensium, Flavia Caesariensis
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2008, 18:11:41 »
It's like the RSPB trying to protect corvids like magpies. They've apparently, for all their twitching credentials, never seen a magpie moving down a hedge systematically taking out eggs and fledglings from all the other birds nests.
But magpies are native and only doing what they are supposed to do - they should therefore not be persecuted for it.  Magpies raid nests.  Magpies always have in this country even before our ancestors crossed the then land bridge they now call the English Channel - live with it!  Grey Squirrels are only here because some misguided late Victorian idiot thought they were cute and brought them across from their native Eastern USA.  They are a recent invader and steps should be taken to control their numbers whilst a permanent solution is sought.

BTW - the RSPB are humanely trapping some birds and sending them back to Scandinavia because they can't be bothered to go on their own and are displacing native birds.

Because of the Channel, we in Britain have (limited) but unique wildlife - compare British Robins with European Robins (the shy ones that are here during winter)  or our Red Squirrel with European Red Squirrels.  They are the same species but in a short time have evolved differently. 
Lotty @ Lincoln (Lat:53.24, Long:-0.52, HASL:30m)

http://www.abicabeauty

Kea

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2008, 18:29:46 »
As you probably know I'm from New Zealand as you know. Early settlers and even some recent ones bought lots of non-indigenous species with them. Some really stupid people bought rabbits and Australian possums. NZ had only indigenous land mammals are Bats, hence there were lots of flightless birds. The polynesian Rat arrived with the Maori people (they bought it with them as a food source) then the european ships arrived with rats on board. the rats ate the birds eggs and I believe possums do too. Possums are decimating the beautiful Rata forests in the South Island. The rabbits are a problem only on agricultural land where they compete with sheep (introduced) for pasture. In some parts of NZ the land literally gets up and runs at your approach.

The NZ government has tried everything to get rid of rabbits and possums. i remember as i child finding green carrots lying on the ground on our farm and being told never to touch these were covered in 1080 poison these were dropped indiscriminately from the air. Later my brother was involved in possum control and he used cyanide in a much less indiscriminate manner and trapping and shooting. He got paid for tails. The fight against the possum is still ongoing but at least they are trying to control them but the possums now live in very difficult to access areas.

Some control of Magpies is allowed but as Red Clanger says aren't they indigenous? You can't exterminate Tiger's because they might eat people.....unless they're loose in the UK countryside!
The grey squirrel lives in much more accessible places it should be much easier to control but anybody who tries is up against the 'it's cute and furry' brigade.

redimp

• Hectare
  • Colonia Domitiana Lindensium, Flavia Caesariensis
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2008, 18:36:34 »
Seriously off thread but thought I had better check my facts and found:

;D
Lotty @ Lincoln (Lat:53.24, Long:-0.52, HASL:30m)

http://www.abicabeauty

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2008, 20:09:02 »
I'm not sure our robins are really different; in thick woodland they can be really shy and difficult to see. I've seen tree rats going in and out of drains, where they appeared to live. If they don't have trees available, they quite happily live on the ground like rats. They should be treated like rats in my book.

Old bird

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2008, 09:34:01 »
I seem to remember reading somewhere that they were going to feed squirrels foor which contained the animal equivalent of the contraceptive pill.  Can't remember where - but surely that should cut numbers in a few years time if they did that!

Old Bird

star

• Hectare
  • Northampton, sm greenhouse, heated propagator
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2008, 12:32:26 »
I seem to remember reading somewhere that they were going to feed squirrels foor which contained the animal equivalent of the contraceptive pill.  Can't remember where - but surely that should cut numbers in a few years time if they did that!

Old Bird

I didnt know they had found something! I think its the only way to go really. That would also be better for those against culling.

It wont be too soon if they go ahead.
I was born with nothing and have most of it left.

betula

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2008, 12:50:37 »
I know they are a problem but I find it hard to kill anything.Even the snails just get chucked.

I think the contraceptive route is the way to go.

My mum has lots of squirrels in her garden and they are constantly destroying things but she encourages them by feeding them.

She still manages to keep the garden looking lovely.

A friend of mine feeds some in his garden by hand.They come and sit and wait
for room service ;D

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2008, 22:03:19 »
Supposed to be tasty to eat.

betula

• Hectare
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2008, 22:08:54 »
Yes,but I could not eat a whole one :)

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2008, 22:10:29 »
I no longer put out food for the birds because of squirrels, rats, magpies and crows. I consider them all as vermin and would be happy if their numbers were decimated.

Isleworth

• Half Acre
    • http://plot31a.blogspot.com/
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2008, 22:57:38 »
I no longer put out food for the birds because of squirrels, rats, magpies and crows. I consider them all as vermin and would be happy if their numbers were decimated.

I agree on the Grey Squirrel and Rat issue but Magpies and Crows are native species that although they can pests if they find a good source of food, deserve they same respect as our other native wild birds. No one likes the idea of culling, but due to human error our native species are now threatened and need preserving..

I believe culling of the Ring-necked Parakeet (Psittacula krameriis) is also on the books as they are currently destroying our woodland... another species that was introduced by mistake which is having a terrible effect on our native flora and forna.

~

Lawrence

valmarg

• Hectare
« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2008, 23:13:29 »
We live across the valley from Alton Towers.  The place is infested with grey squirrels.  The food thrown away by the idiots that visit the place gives them a ready source of foods.

They do more damage against the songbird population than the magpie.  I think they should be eradicated from the UK, in the same way that the coypu was.

They are vermin, and should be treated as such.

valmarg

Larkshall

• Hectare
  • Near Cambourne (Cambs.)
    • Ellis Rowell's Website
« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2008, 00:43:27 »

They are vermin, and should be treated as such.

valmarg

Yes, they are vermin and the misguided people who think they can trap them and let them go elsewhere are committing an offence and can be prosecuted for it.

I have trapped three greys in the last few months and shot them with a .22 air rifle. I also trapped and shot three the winter before last.
Organiser, Mid Anglia Computer Users (Est. 1988)
Member of the Cambridge Cyclists Touring Club

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2008, 16:04:41 »
People occasionally grumble to me that the Botanical Gardens (next door to the site) kill squirrels. Good riddance to them! I hope it's true.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal