Author Topic: I have my first red tomato of the year!  (Read 4405 times)

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
I have my first red tomato of the year!
« on: July 22, 2004, 09:21:44 »
So exciting - my first tomato has ripened this year. It's all red and glossy and I can't wait to eat it!

Only problem is it's off a plant that is supposed to bear yellow fruits!  ::)
gone to pot :D

Ceri

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
Re:I have my first red tomato of the year!
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2004, 09:48:14 »
many congrats - I have two green ones to date, out of four plants, so I'm waiting with baited breath!  I sowed G's Delight, which I was told was a bush so didn't do any of that pinching out stuff.  They are now over 5ft tall, and not exactly bushy looking, so as its my 1st yr with toms I have no idea what's going on - but they've got lots of lovely flowers and obviously some fruit is going to come - that's a success in my book!

Moggle

• Hectare
  • My island home is waiting for me
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2004, 10:03:24 »
Hurrah for you both.
I too have my first ripening toms. They are Santa, and have had loads of little green toms for what seems like absolutely ages - perhaps a month. A couple are finally ripening on one plant, which means the rest will follow I hope  :)
Lottie-less until I can afford a house with it's own garden.

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2004, 10:13:33 »
I think it's been too cool for them to rippen. I've had loads of green ones for ages and they are now starting to go a bit more orangey as it's got warmer again.

Cannot wait for homegrown roasted tomato sauce and homegrown sundried tomatoes.

(Need some kind of emoticon showing me bouncing up and down with excitement!)

derbex

• Hectare
  • I've come about the reaping
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2004, 10:48:49 »
Had our first reds last night (except for one I sneaked a couple of days ago  8) ). Gardeners Delight and Alicante, both taste good as does the Sungold -even the Balconi Yellow are fine this year, the bought toms are insipid in comparison.

G.D. doesn't mind being trained, I have most of mine growing up sticks with one heading over the top of the green house.

They have been a bit hit and miss -one very prolific and 2 with the flowers falling off before they set? Probably something to do with their position in the greenhouse, and the ants at the base of one of them  :-\

Jeremy

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2004, 10:53:36 »
Jeremy - flowers fall off unpollinated when the plant is too dry of the air is too dry.

derbex

• Hectare
  • I've come about the reaping
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2004, 12:21:18 »
Thanks aqui -could be given, the powdery mildew and spider mites elsewhere. I'll have to think of a way of raising the humidity -a aheet hanging with one end in a bucket of water perhaps?

Jeremy

GardnerJ

• Acre
  • Oh my God I have Allot-Mania!
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2004, 12:30:12 »
 ;) nice one!
I am jealous! I have big beautiful green "supersteak" toms! loads of 'em but they are Green, Green, Green :'(
Enjoy your first ripe 'un
Jemma

CotswoldLass

• Hectare
  • I love gardening!
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2004, 12:30:31 »
My first outdoor Golden Cherry was eaten (by me) straight off the bush yesterday evening. Delish!!

Got loads on the outdoor and indoor plants (Shirley), more starting to ripen, can't wait!

CLx

Tenuse

• Acre
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2004, 13:32:10 »
I've got about 60 Tigerellas on my four plants outdoors, they are beautiful and stripey but still GREEN!!! as well!

And one Roma tomato turning a faint hint of orange...

Bet you they all ripen when I am away for the weekend!

Ten x
Young, dumb and full of come hither looks.

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2004, 16:14:38 »
Heck, been down to the greenhouse and had a good poke around, and there are heaps and heaps of toms, all shapes and sizes, but they all have one thing in common.  They are all still lime green!  Oh well, with August just around the corner, I am sure the wonderful summer that is bound to arrive (yeah right!) will get them ripe.

wattapain

• Half Acre
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2004, 16:59:37 »
Hi everyone - my first post. ::)
I too have loadsa green toms - but 1 turning red at last & almost ready for eating (yippee)- Ailsa Craig  - in greenhouse. Outdoor ones - GD & AC still all green except for 2 Sungold  plants which we've been eating for the last month!! Don't know why they ripened & the green ones didn't.
Still better late than never,
Terri    :) :) :)

nepeta

• Not So New ...
  • I love cats
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2004, 21:21:10 »
I ate my first ripe tomato- Sweet Million, yesterday from the greenhouse, lovely ;D
More are nearly ripe in there. None of my Shirleys are turning yet, I can't wait as I haven't grown them before.

nepeta
Cats rule !

Multiveg

• Hectare
  • Oops, been gone a while, but still allotmenting.
    • Forum
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2004, 21:22:49 »
Mwah, still only got loads of Green tomatoes
Allotment Blog - http://multiveg.wordpress.com/
Musings of a letter writer, stamp user and occasional Postcrosser - http://correspondencefan.blogspot.co.uk/

feet of clay

• Half Acre
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2004, 22:04:19 »
Mine have finally decided to ripen too!  My son and I had one each on Wednesday.  Another half dozen are almost ready and then it will be glut and a case of 'what do we do with them all?' - just like I'm having with courgettes.
Chuffed!

Multiveg

• Hectare
  • Oops, been gone a while, but still allotmenting.
    • Forum
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2004, 20:59:44 »
Woo hoo - I decided to give a seaweed based foliar feed to the tomatoes and I noticed just one tomato started to turn red
Allotment Blog - http://multiveg.wordpress.com/
Musings of a letter writer, stamp user and occasional Postcrosser - http://correspondencefan.blogspot.co.uk/

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2004, 08:34:35 »
PATIENCE!!
What many folk don't say is when things were planted out, & where.
If you want things EARLY, you've obviously got to start EARLY! For some, that's a problem. And choose at least one EARLY variety.
We find Santa - like many smallies - reliably early. Planted out first week in May. we've been picking a few daily for 2 weeks (see 'what bugs'). Indoors. Despite night temps being frequently around 50F.

The beefs are always very slow - this is John Hawkins - a variety used by s/markets. But if everything is early, what's to come later? = Tim

Andy H

• Hectare
« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2004, 17:56:08 »
we got about 5 red ones and millions of green giant toms so far, hope they ripen. Also got a massive freak double or triplely joined one. Must take a photo when it ripens

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #18 on: July 25, 2004, 22:36:15 »
Looks like I am going to have a bumper greenhouse harvest in a few weeks time.  Every darn one of mine is as green as green can be!  I had daughter number one in the greenhouse looking, and she informed me that they are all, 'whoppers mum, but still green.  Shall I pick them anyway?'  I chased her out at high speed and told her patience is a red tomato, haste is a green one.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal