Author Topic: Will my courgettes be ok in my coldframe?  (Read 1468 times)

kippers garden

• Hectare
Will my courgettes be ok in my coldframe?
« on: April 16, 2008, 07:15:38 »
I have run out of room on my window sills and i still have cucumbers etc to plant.  My question is...will my courgettes be ok if i put them in my coldframe in the day and bring them back inside my house at night?

Do any of you leave them in your coldframes all night with no heat?
This is my simple living UK blog:  http://notjustgreenfingers.wordpress.com/

Follow me if you enjoy reading it!

PurpleHeather

• Hectare
Re: Will my courgettes be ok in my coldframe?
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2008, 07:44:35 »
Some varieties are more 'tender' than others but mine have been sown and are growing in an unheated green house so cloches in a sunny place should be fine

If there is a likely hood of frost then give them a little overnight protection, fleece or even a light coloured plastic bag, bubble wrap if you have some to hold in the heat.

caseylee

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2008, 09:33:00 »
I thought it was too early to plan them so I have been pushing it back till may.  Can I sow my courgettes now, I have the round ones, gold rush and plain ones, will they be alright to germinate in a cold greenhouse

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2008, 09:43:52 »
I never sow before the end of April.

Things may survive outdoors, but any check in growth is detrimental.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2008, 09:45:23 by tim »

gunnerbee

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2008, 10:33:31 »
my courgettes are flowering in my bedroom window, ill transfer them to the greenhouse in a week or two!

Old bird

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2008, 11:23:40 »
Flowering - already!  Well done girl!

I just put mine in the propogator at the weekend so hopefully they will be up by next week.

I am going to put several in the polytunnel so will protect them as much as poss - but I don't think they will come to much harm.

Tim - I think that because you live high up you have a more dramatic temperature range than I do - lower down and close to the coast!

Old Bird

:o

gunnerbee

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2008, 11:27:51 »
they are a bit wimpy though, better to wait like you!!  ;D

star

• Hectare
  • Northampton, sm greenhouse, heated propagator
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2008, 12:07:12 »
I have run out of room on my window sills and i still have cucumbers etc to plant.  My question is...will my courgettes be ok if i put them in my coldframe in the day and bring them back inside my house at night?

Do any of you leave them in your coldframes all night with no heat?

On nice mild days there is no reason why your courgettes cant go in the coldframe through the day. Dont forget to give them some shade from direct sunlight through glass though, and bring them in at night.

I am very limited for space too and constantly move things in and out of the house.

Good luck!
I was born with nothing and have most of it left.

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2008, 15:43:15 »
Didn't read the question fully. Of course OK in daytime. But as indicated, heat can do as much harm as cold.

Trevor_D

• Hectare
  • north-west London
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2008, 17:06:38 »
But I agree, Tim - last week in April's early enough. Once the weather's warm enough (& this year, April's cold!) they romp away.

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2008, 17:12:31 »
I sow my courgettes in May outdoors. On the other handI sowed lots of seeds for our "social" last Saturday and then wasn't able to go so I have had to plant out all the seedlings. Cauliflower and swede outdoors under cloches (mainly to keep off the rabbits until I get my Enviromesh washed) and spinach and Pak Choi in the unheated greenhouse. I may regret this !! ;D

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2008, 19:53:21 »
They'd probably be OK, but we did have frost here a couple of nights ago. mine will be going in, in the mini-greenhouses, next weekend or the one after. But then, they won't be up for a week or two after that. By that time, they should be safe.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal