Author Topic: Tadpoles  (Read 7727 times)

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
Tadpoles
« on: April 15, 2008, 18:29:29 »
Today I discvered that all my frogspawn has hatched and now I have hundreds of tiny tadpoles in my water feature.  I've searched here and on line and I gather that at this stage they need pond weed and fish flakes until they turn carnivourous when they get their back legs.  Excuse my silly question but would the weed you get for aquarium goldfish be okay?  There isn't a great deal of room in there - it's about 12" x 15" and 3" deep.

G x
'The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.'

aromatic

• Half Acre
  • Lavender flowers yield abundant nectar
Re: Tadpoles
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2008, 19:35:06 »
 :-\ Haven't got a clue to be honest but have found this links that may be of help to you Georgie....
www.ypte.org.uk/docs/factsheets/env_facts/frogspawn_tadpoles.html

www.beautifulbritain.co.uk/htm/pond/pond_faq2.htm

www.seasonofspring.com/tadpolefrog.html

www.wildaboutbritain.co.uk/forums/reptile-and-amphibian-forums/10066-have-pond-have-tadpoles-feeding.html

Hope it helps a bit... quite sure someone on this forum with more expertise regarding tadpoles will come along and give you some helpful advice.
Hope all goes well for you and your tadpoles.... you are so lucky... enjoy!!

God made rainy days so gardeners could get the housework done.  ~Author Unknown

Love aromatic xxx

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2008, 20:16:22 »
They eat algae, which they scrape off the sides of an artificial pool. Don't worry, they'll be OK.

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2008, 20:26:07 »
Thanks for your help Aromatic and Robert.  This is all very new to me.   :)

G x
'The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.'

Gardengirl

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2008, 22:11:56 »
They certainly do eat algae Georgie.  We have hundreds in our pond and they are cleaning the sides of the pond up a treat.  The only thing is, we are going to be overrun with tiny frogs :o  Will have to be very careful when mowing the lawn ::)  I thought the fish would eat many of them but since we lost the last of our golden orfe they don't seem to be going down in numbers.
Happy gardening all...........Pat

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2008, 22:27:00 »
Hi Gardengirl.  Love your poppies btw.   :)  When I took a peep at the taddies today, sure enough they were all around the sides of the water feature nibbling away at the algae.  I wouldn't worry about mowing the lawn, mind.  What better excuse do you need not to bother?   ;D

G x

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2008, 16:37:08 »
I managed to get a few snaps today.  Not the best of pictures but you get the idea.  ;D  G x

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2008, 17:57:37 »
The tadpoles now have pond weed and are certainly growing.   :)  G x

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2008, 15:21:06 »
The tadpoles are about 12 weeks old now.  Still no sign of any back legs yet though.  They are pretty camera shy these days but managed to get a couple of murky snaps today.  How are your's doing?

G x

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2008, 17:22:59 »
ours haven't developed legs yet, either..
I was told (not sure if he's having me on ), they might not develop but hold over 'til next year  ???

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2008, 19:36:49 »
ours haven't developed legs yet, either..
I was told (not sure if he's having me on ), they might not develop but hold over 'til next year  ???

Did he tell you that on April 1st?   ;D  ;D  ;D

G x

manicscousers

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2008, 19:51:35 »
strangely, no  ;D
he used to be the ranger in a wildlife park  :o

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2008, 20:02:12 »
Well it'll be like waiting for a bus, we'll wait ages then three experts will come along at once.   8)

G x

silly billy

• Acre
« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2008, 20:11:01 »
I had some tadpoles in an old bath and some of them didnt develop until the following year.
My idea was to build Liverpool into a bastion of invincibility. Napoleon had that idea. He wanted to conquer the bloody world. I wanted Liverpool to be untouchable. My idea was to build Liverpool up and up until eventually everyone would have to submit and give in. Bill Shankly.

manicscousers

• Hectare
« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2008, 20:23:32 »
well, that's one, , maybe he was right  :o ;D

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2008, 20:27:26 »
well, that's one, , maybe he was right  :o ;D

Oh I hope not.  I can't see me managing to keep them for a whole year in the water feature.   :(  :'(

G x

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2008, 19:39:27 »
Well it looks like he was right - mine still haven't got legs.   :( 

I'm at a loss now because the water feature is so shallow I'm certain the tadpoles will not survive the winter.  I'm so limited for space too.  Any ideas anyone?

G x

star

• Hectare
  • Northampton, sm greenhouse, heated propagator
« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2008, 21:30:41 »
Aw hun, I know I would be worried too.

Do you have a greenhouse, shed or conservatory? iF YOU HAVE YOU COULD FISH THE TADS OUT WITH SOME POND WATER AND WEED.......(CAps lock, sorry) into an aquarium, bucket, baby bath or trug and keep them in cool / cold conditions over winter. That is what I would do, though I would google a wildlife site for more info like this one.

http://www.wildaboutbritain.co.uk/forums/

You would need to acclimatise gradually in the spring, before releasing back into your pond.

I think also you need to get a good ID on your pondweed Georgie, it looks like it might be Parrot Feather which is an invasive alien. You must not let it go anywhere near natural water courses if it is. It can grow from the smallest piece.

I wish you all the best with your taddies, please let us know how they get on ;)
I was born with nothing and have most of it left.

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2008, 10:53:55 »
Aw hun, I know I would be worried too.

Do you have a greenhouse, shed or conservatory? iF YOU HAVE YOU COULD FISH THE TADS OUT WITH SOME POND WATER AND WEED.......(CAps lock, sorry) into an aquarium, bucket, baby bath or trug and keep them in cool / cold conditions over winter. That is what I would do, though I would google a wildlife site for more info like this one.

http://www.wildaboutbritain.co.uk/forums/

You would need to acclimatise gradually in the spring, before releasing back into your pond.

I think also you need to get a good ID on your pondweed Georgie, it looks like it might be Parrot Feather which is an invasive alien. You must not let it go anywhere near natural water courses if it is. It can grow from the smallest piece.

I wish you all the best with your taddies, please let us know how they get on ;)

Hi Star

Thanks for this detailed reply.  The mini greenhouse will be packed with over-wintering plants but I could make room in the shed for them.  I'll also try the website. 

That pond weed was awful - kept breaking up - so I binned it and bought the more traditional curly stuff.  (How's that for a technical term?  LOL)  Thanks for the warning though.

I'm expecting the frogs to spawn again next year so I'll have to find a more long term solution.  The best I can come up with is sinking a washing up bowl into the soil.  Do you think this would work?

G x

Flighty

• Hectare
    • Flighty's Plot
« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2008, 11:07:41 »
Georgie I have a old washing up bowl as a pond on my plot!
A plot neighbour tells me that tadpoles at this time of year won't develop or survive whatever you do. They're either die if there's a frost or birds will eat them.
Sorry if that's not what you want to hear!
Flighty's plot,  http://flightplot.wordpress.com,  is my blog.

I support the Gardening with Disabilities Trust, http://www.gardeningwithdisabilitiestrust.org.uk

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal