Author Topic: Courgettes going okay?  (Read 1517 times)

theamatteurgardener

• Not So New ...
    • the.amatteur.gardener
Courgettes going okay?
« on: April 19, 2008, 14:55:06 »
Hi everyone,

I've currently got 4 cougette plants on my window sil with the view to getting them in the plot when they're big enough.

Anyway, as i've never grown them before and can't find the answer to my question anywhere, here i am!

I initially planted 2 seeds in 2 x 3inch pots, then discarded the weaker seedling. In the next 2x 2inch pots i just planted one. The photo below shows the progress. What i'm checking is at what point do i repot or plant out the plants? And should i be concerned about the 'lean' of them?

Thanks everyone.

Trevor_D

• Hectare
  • north-west London
Re: Courgettes going okay?
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2008, 15:22:02 »
They always lean like that. When you re-pot them, plant them a bit deeper. And a good rule of thumb for potting anything on is wait till you can see the roots coming out of the bottom of the pot.

With the weather as it is at the moment, you won't be able to plant them out for a few weeks (unless you have a polytunnel, or live in Spain), so you want to keep them on hold rather than encourage them to grow, so I'd leave them a bit before I re-potted, personally. (I haven't sown mine yet!)

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2008, 17:55:20 »
I think most people won't have sown yet unless they are growing them in a polytunnel.- I was too early last year and had to start again, so won't be sowing for a couple of weeks.

theothermarg

• Hectare
  • Yate near Bristol UK
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2008, 18:02:23 »
thanks I,m new to growing them ( 1st time last year ) and wasn,t certain
I,ll hang on for a bit
marg
Tell me and I,ll forget
Show me and I might remember
Involve me and I,ll understand

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2008, 18:11:46 »
May I add to those remarks? Great looking plants but, even for our location, about a month early.

1. If their roots were filling their pots,they would be ready to plant out. But you'll have to pot up before then.
2. I would say don't pot up until the roots fill the pots. Check, when you see plenty of root out of the bottom, by gently tipping them out into your hand. Make sure they are moist before doing this.
3. Then into a 5" pot, I would think. Let them settle for a week & then start hardening them off - in a frost free but unheated place, with as much light as they can get.
4. If the stems get a bit unruly, you can help by staking them.

theamatteurgardener

• Not So New ...
    • the.amatteur.gardener
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2008, 23:35:11 »
Perfect. Thanks for the replies guys! All advice noted and heeded.

The smaller ones are about 2weeks behind the bigger ones so hopfully if the large plants are too early, the younger ones might hit the decent weather at about the right time.

This place is such a fantastic resource for the amatuers among us, cheers!

bupster

• Hectare
    • Plot Holes
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2008, 21:20:43 »
Bugger, mine got slugged so badly last year that I thought I'd be clever and clearly have started too early (though they're a little smaller still than those in the picture). Here's hoping for a nice warm May....
For myself I am an optimist - it does not seem to be much use being anything else.

http://www.plotholes.blogspot.com

keef

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2008, 01:07:25 »
They are a bit early - but if you have no frost after you've planted them out they'll be ok. Alternavtily leave them in the pots inside, they might get a bit pot bound - but it will slow them down a bit. The best time to plant them out is mid May onwards - or whenever the threat of frost has passed in your neck.

When i plant them out i dig a big hole, fill it full of manure then plant them on top of that, then back fill whats left with soil - they really like that...
Straight outt'a compton - West Berkshire.

Please excuse my spelling, i am an engineer

antipodes

• Hectare
  • W. France, 5m x 20m (900 ft2)
    • My allotment blog
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2008, 12:59:59 »
I couldn't see your photo, but I just sowed my courgettes and melons this week so I am only now having little shhots appearing. Last year I kept them indoors until they were potted on into bigger pots then had them out on the balcony for a week or ten days to harden them off. Unfortunately the rotten summer killed them all off but till then they were OK so I am doing the same this year. Planting outdoors mid May (we get higher temps here in France so mine are all outdoors)
2012 - Snow in February, non-stop rain till July. Blight and rot are rife. Thieving voles cause strife. But first runner beans and lots of greens. Follow an English allotment in urban France: http://roos-and-camembert.blogspot.com

theamatteurgardener

• Not So New ...
    • the.amatteur.gardener
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2008, 15:44:02 »
Just a quick followup question here guys, applies to the other plants im currently growing in pots too though.

Am i right in thinking that the way to water them is to pour the water directly into the tray, allowing the soil to absorb the water from the bottom and the roots to suck it up? Or is it to water directly on top of the soil and allow the water to soak down through the pot?

Same question for pepper and tomato plants...?

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2008, 16:44:53 »
I was told cucmbers prefer water from the bottom, so I would guess courgettes are the same.I tend to water all my plants like this as it's easier to see when they've had enough.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal