Author Topic: I want privacy!!  (Read 6242 times)

Norfolk n Proud

• Half Acre
  • From humble beginnings...
I want privacy!!
« on: April 14, 2008, 18:51:35 »
Hiya folks,  as the title suggests, i want some privacy!  Since i went to bed last night, a helicopter has airlifted the worlds biggest trampoline into my neighbours garden, this has made it quite possible to have a dozen people on it at the same time. which wouldn't be a problem if they didn't like to stare at anyone in our garden. So this begs the question, what can i plant that will be 1. Attractive to the eye. 2. about 10 feet tall or more and  3. Thin, in relation to it's height.  I realise bamboo would be peoples favourite choice but i don't want it to go on the rampage.  Please don't think I'm being  a bit Victor Meldrew, but the wife has developed an intense hatred of it> :o :o :o
Thas a rummun !!

star

• Hectare
  • Northampton, sm greenhouse, heated propagator
Re: I want privacy!!
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2008, 19:03:05 »
Oh how I sympathise with you. Whatever you put in will take time to grow so it wont be effective this or next year. or possibly 4 or 5 years from now.

You could put a garden mirror opposite the trampoline, not to blind them. But so it will shine some light back in their direction, that would take the focus off the people in your garden.

Fast growing stuff.....Clematis montana, Hop and many more (sorry cant think of them all right now) then there are trees but these take much longer to  achieve the screen you want 

I was born with nothing and have most of it left.

Norfolk n Proud

• Half Acre
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2008, 19:07:06 »
Hi Star, i hadn't thought about climbers or hops, i reckon if i got some tall trellis, they would grow in no time. You are indeed a Star :)
Keep your ideas coming!!
Thas a rummun !!

markfield rover

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2008, 19:50:38 »
Thre is a cherry tree that grows tall and thin I think it is called something like Sky Rocket. We have a quince that is ten foot
after three years  and grown in that fan sort of way. Sweet peas would also do the trick until the first frosts.

davyw1

• Hectare
  • I love My Country
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2008, 20:04:29 »
If u get a trellis up get some Impomia  Morning Glory it will see you till you get some thing more perminent
When you wake up on a morning say "good morning world" and be grateful

DAVY

star

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2008, 20:05:31 »
You're welcome Andy, good luck. I wish plants could solve the problem of noisy neighbours :'( :'( then I would be sorted too.

Norfolk n Proud

• Half Acre
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2008, 20:16:00 »
If you find one that does Star........ let me know! :) :)
Thas a rummun !!

Norfolk n Proud

• Half Acre
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2008, 20:17:40 »
If u get a trellis up get some Impomia  Morning Glory it will see you till you get some thing more perminent
Hi Davy, i've got a packet of those seeds you speak of, guess what i'm doing tommorrow night?? Cheers  :)
Thas a rummun !!

GrannieAnnie

• Hectare
  • in Delaware, USA growing zone 6 or 7
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2008, 20:18:37 »
People get bored quickly. I'm sure the "wonderful" trampoline will become dullsville.

Our daughter had a similar problem and finally put up a wood fence which looks so nice AND
forms a pretty backdrop for their plants which formerly didn't show up very well.

Then there is lattice- that looks pretty painted a darker/ interesting color to blend in, maybe do sheets of it in frames- mounted separately perhaps?

The handle on your recliner does not qualify as an exercise machine.

tilts

• Acre
  • Boom Boom boom Boom Esso blue!
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2008, 20:30:24 »
Hops are brilliant, loads of colour, loads of growth, great for selling to florists in the Autumn and they've got this sort of spikey ~ very spikey ~ and uncomfortable finish ~ great to obscure and act as a preventative. I have grand children and love to hear them play ,but would hate to have my privacy invaded as you have.  Good Luck!
Tread softly or you'll tread on my dreams.....Yeats

Baaaaaaaa

• Acre
  • Life's a treat for those who bleat.
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2008, 20:44:29 »
I know just the problem, I live in a row of houses all with big gardens, and these big Baaaaaaaa-stard bouncy things are multiplying rapidly - destroying my weekend peace and quiet. I'm even considering writing to the council as its an invasion of my privacy, not to mention sond pollution.

The dreaded Ivy, or a Russian vine would cover some trellis until you got something more permenant.

Lilac grow quite tall quite quickly, as does budliea, and you can prune hard if your privacy problem goes away/ grows up.

Ps. I hear that 10 mins a day on a trampoline is good exercise and for weight loss, so, if you can't beat 'em, then join 'em  :)

Maximus, Procerus, Vegetus

GrannieAnnie

• Hectare
  • in Delaware, USA growing zone 6 or 7
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2008, 20:55:25 »
Oh yes! Buddliea or butterfly bush we call it is a good idea, grows so quickly from being pruned almost to the ground and springs to about 10-12 feet.  A row of those- I've never actually seen it grown in a row, but why not?
Around here folks give away the volunteers so perhaps you'd get them free. And they're fragrant.
The handle on your recliner does not qualify as an exercise machine.

Fluffnco

• Half Acre
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2008, 21:48:42 »
You're welcome Andy, good luck. I wish plants could solve the problem of noisy neighbours :'( :'( then I would be sorted too.

Couple of early carrots should sort that problem out...stick one in each ear ;))

Seriously though I empathise with you....noisy or nosy it's not nice

artichoke

• Hectare
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2008, 22:11:36 »
I've got a couple of fig trees grown from cuttings planted against trellis, and when they are in leaf they screen the trellis beautifully from next door. I prune and tie them in rather casually to flatten them against the trellis rather than becoming the fat trees they want to be, and if I didn't cut them down at the top they would grow very tall. And you'd get figs - they are delicious.

I have a friend who doesn't like figs, and has grown his fig tree against a huge wall of his house purely for decoration. And in Sissinghurst and Pashley Gardens, fig trees also cover very large, tall walls very densely. They weave the younger growth round in circles in a way I haven't quite achieved.

Even when their leaves have fallen, the architectural pattern of their sinuous grey trunks and branches is very attractive.

Doris_Pinks

• Hectare
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2008, 22:18:59 »
Don't write off bamboos, i have mine growing in a big pots in the soil, stops them rampaging!!
We don't inherit the earth, we only borrow it from our children.
Blog: http://www.nonsuchgardening.blogspot.com/

aromatic

• Half Acre
  • Lavender flowers yield abundant nectar
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2008, 22:28:02 »
 :-\
1)Get a trampoline of your own... re:- whats good for the goose is good for the gander!

2)If not against any local council rules, light a bonfire when they start bouncing and smoke them out... (hopefully the wind will be going in the right direction that day!!)

3)Joking aside a lot of the suggestions already made by forum members sound excellent, my sensible suggestion is the following type of fencing which seems to be the in thing these days, looks persable and I have seen attached to wattle fences etc to add extra high privacy ..... and would maybe solve your problem.

www.greenfingers.com/superstore/category.asp?dept_id=180

If you scroll down the page you will see willow/thatch etc screen fencing that can be attached to an original fence, and if you get some higher than your fence it would give you that extra privacy. I have seen it done and it does look nice. Also its instant privacy...
Hope you sort your problem very soon, you have my sympathies has I have been in that situation myself in the past and its not pleasant!!

God made rainy days so gardeners could get the housework done.  ~Author Unknown

Love aromatic xxx

Norfolk n Proud

• Half Acre
« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2008, 16:41:16 »
People get bored quickly. I'm sure the "wonderful" trampoline will become dullsville.

Our daughter had a similar problem and finally put up a wood fence which looks so nice AND
forms a pretty backdrop for their plants which formerly didn't show up very well.

Then there is lattice- that looks pretty painted a darker/ interesting color to blend in, maybe do sheets of it in frames- mounted separately perhaps?

If only, they already had one, but this one is bigger, much bigger!! easily 15 feet diameter. :o
Thas a rummun !!

Norfolk n Proud

• Half Acre
« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2008, 16:43:20 »
I know just the problem, I live in a row of houses all with big gardens, and these big Baaaaaaaa-stard bouncy things are multiplying rapidly - destroying my weekend peace and quiet. I'm even considering writing to the council as its an invasion of my privacy, not to mention sond pollution.

The dreaded Ivy, or a Russian vine would cover some trellis until you got something more permenant.

Lilac grow quite tall quite quickly, as does budliea, and you can prune hard if your privacy problem goes away/ grows up.

Ps. I hear that 10 mins a day on a trampoline is good exercise and for weight loss, so, if you can't beat 'em, then join 'em  :)

I hear what your saying, 10 mins up the lotties better!  :)
Thas a rummun !!

star

• Hectare
« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2008, 16:49:00 »
And more peaceful 8)

jennym

• Hectare
  • Essex/Suffolk border
« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2008, 23:37:19 »
Eucalyptus gunnei grows quickly, you do have to be prepared to cut it each year though. Mine is cut each year to 6 ft in late winter/early spring and always puts on about 6 to 8 ft of extra growth by the end of summer. Cutting it isn't too bad, use loppers as the wood is quite sappy.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal