Author Topic: Why am I the only one...  (Read 3458 times)

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
Why am I the only one...
« on: April 12, 2008, 18:21:38 »
..whose seedlings in the greenhouse - even on modest bottom heat - are at a near standstill?

And the Chillies I sowed in the Autumn got to 8" & stuck. They have been encouraged with dilute fertilser.

calendula

• Hectare
  • learn to love your weeds (saddleworth)
    • homeopathy
Re: Why am I the only one...
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2008, 19:33:41 »
I reckon they know when to put on a growth spurt and when to slow down - this spring seems to be like we used to get, colder (we've got so used to warmer times now) so am sure they will pick up when they know best  :D

PurpleHeather

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2008, 19:55:23 »
It could be
Too much re-cycling, and going green. It has stopped the earth warming and we are going back to the ice age.
You are not talking to your plants enough and they think that you do not love them.
There is a genetic problem and you have mutant seedlings.
Time has stood still and no one has told us.
You are not being patient, too keen to get going. Let the plants grow in their own time. If they look healthy then they almost certainly are.

betula

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2008, 19:59:07 »
The lengthening daylight and warmer temps will soon get them going :)

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2008, 20:20:52 »
I sowed mine February and they have stucked to 5"...I have done same..given well diluted fertilizer..I think we just have to wait to temperature and light levels to rise...
There is plenty of time yet...

Gazfoz

• Acre
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2008, 22:21:58 »
Tim, I'm almost frightened to ask, What is "modest bottom heat" exactly?

djbrenton

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2008, 23:02:31 »
Tim thinks you sit on them like with eggs. No wonder they're not growing.

GrannieAnnie

• Hectare
  • in Delaware, USA growing zone 6 or 7
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2008, 00:53:08 »
..whose seedlings in the greenhouse - even on modest bottom heat - are at a near standstill?

And the Chillies I sowed in the Autumn got to 8" & stuck. They have been encouraged with dilute fertilser.

Does the glass on your greenhouse get fogged over? The reason I ask, the lupins that are growing outside in the ground without any covering at all are looking sturdy and healthily growing. The lupin protected under a bottle ( I rescued one that had been dug up which I replanted in compost in the house til it revived, then planted outside and kept a clear plastic soda bottle over it (with screw lid off), even though it was surely warmer than the others in the sun, it has stopped growing. The bottle gets fogged. I was wondering how much of the sun's rays get blocked by the foggy plastic.
The handle on your recliner does not qualify as an exercise machine.

PurpleHeather

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2008, 09:10:22 »

Does the glass on your greenhouse get fogged over? The reason I ask, the lupins that are growing outside in the ground without any covering at all are looking sturdy and healthily growing. The lupin protected under a bottle ( I rescued one that had been dug up which I replanted in compost in the house til it revived, then planted outside and kept a clear plastic soda bottle over it (with screw lid off), even though it was surely warmer than the others in the sun, it has stopped growing. The bottle gets fogged. I was wondering how much of the sun's rays get blocked by the foggy plastic.
I saw one of those dug up bottles sell for over £500 at an auction. You sure you want to grow lupins in yours?

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2008, 12:03:39 »
Can't think why - apart from age - I didn't reply here.

Modest heat - 50-60F in th pot.

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2008, 12:38:22 »
My Gardeners' delight toms and my peppers seem to be at a standstilltoo, and they're in the house. I wouldn't worry, except that my cucumbers and Romanesco toms are getting huge!

GrannieAnnie

• Hectare
  • in Delaware, USA growing zone 6 or 7
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2008, 18:59:34 »

I saw one of those dug up bottles sell for over £500 at an auction. You sure you want to grow lupins in yours?
Plastic bottle, Heather. Plastic.
The handle on your recliner does not qualify as an exercise machine.

theothermarg

• Hectare
  • Yate near Bristol UK
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2008, 19:57:46 »
I,m happy with my growth in the G/H and I,v still got bubblewrap up!
maybe I,m just easily pleased :-[
sorry don,t know tim. not got any chillies but the toms are doing fine
marg
Tell me and I,ll forget
Show me and I might remember
Involve me and I,ll understand

raisedbedted

• Hectare
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2008, 18:23:51 »
Tim, thanks for putting me partly at ease.  My toms and chillies have resolutely stuck at 3" for the last month.

When I read people posting about having flowers on their toms I just think, another set of leaves would be nice.

In desperation I thought I'd get my envirolight out of the garage and set it up but heavy handed screwing in of bulb caused me to break it.  So now dwarf plants and a £35 bill for a new bulb.

Hey ho  ::)
Best laid plans and all that

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2008, 20:39:42 »
We are struggling with very low light levels. After a good start a lot of stuff is standing still. I am leaving the growlights on for an extra 4 hours a day on the show plants.

gunnerbee

• Hectare
« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2008, 10:47:53 »
agree with ace, the dull weather dont help, they might perk up after this weeks sunshine!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal