Author Topic: Easter Viguel  (Read 3427 times)

springbok

• Hectare
Easter Viguel
« on: March 23, 2008, 23:25:34 »
Last night myself and my daughter were confirmed into the Roman Catholic church.

Was a very special nite for us, as both my children have been brought up Catholic and daughter in a Catholic school.

So I changed from Methodist to Catholic.  :D

I had to share the news.. .:D

Next thing I have promised my daughter is to give up smoking..!!!... :D

betula

• Hectare
Re: Easter Viguel
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2008, 23:38:28 »
What a wonderful Easter you and your daughter have had. ;D

star

• Hectare
  • Northampton, sm greenhouse, heated propagator
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2008, 23:50:40 »
Congratulations SBG ;D

One step at a time, you'll get there ;)
I was born with nothing and have most of it left.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2008, 10:12:39 »
I hope you weren't being pressurised to change to get the kids into the school, like a family from my church.

springbok

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2008, 12:14:48 »
I hope you weren't being pressurised to change to get the kids into the school, like a family from my church.

Not at all,  it was my decision.  As my daughter started school there 8 years ago, and as it is my local church, I have always attended there and know everyone.

When I spoke to the Father about changing as I had been going there for 8 years, they gave me lots of support, but no pressure whatsoever.

My daughter left there school 3 years ago and is in Middle school now (which is not Catholic) , but we still attend the church as a family.

Bit surprised that people can be so callous to change just to get a child into the school, but i have heard it happens  :-\

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2008, 13:18:34 »
Well done to you, faith is a very personal thing, I   am happy for you that you were able to choose yours.

I chose my Mennonite  faith many years ago and have always known it was the right thing for me.

A very special Easter for you and your family,

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

Old bird

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2008, 12:41:00 »
Good luck to you Springbokgirlie!  I think it is fantastic when someone finds a faith that they really are into.

I unfortunately was brought up Roman Catholic and was parked from the age of 6 in a Convent boarding school.  We were brought up to be frightened of doing anything wrong because we would be "punished".  And if we deviated from the straight and narrow hell and damnation were waiting for us!  I believe that the catholic boarding schools have changed dramatically since the '50s and '60s when I was there - thankfully. 

We were forced to go to Mass most days, follow all the religious events retreats etc.  so much so that now - I do not go to Church at all!  I was mentally damaged by the "regime" if that is the word.

I believe now that religion is not necessarily about going to a Church every Sunday  - it is more about being nice to your neighbour - to help people without expecting reward.

I envy people that have found where they are happy - I admire the conviction of people like Jehova's Witnesses - although I do not agree with their teachings.

Good luck Springbokgirlie - I think you are very lucky to find where you are happy.

And as the late Dave Allen used to say "May your God go with you!"

Old Bird

::)

Slug_killer

• Acre
  • I wanna be a slug.
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2008, 13:38:20 »

Bit surprised that people can be so callous to change just to get a child into the school, but i have heard it happens.

Round my way, its common place. Catholic school = non-muslim school.
When Santa's about, just hoe-hoe-hoe

Gazfoz

• Acre
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2008, 13:50:09 »
Why don't we all lose the religion and just have human beings?

theothermarg

• Hectare
  • Yate near Bristol UK
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2008, 15:24:15 »
Why don't we all lose the religion and just have human beings?
I,m a fan of Imagine by John Lennon too
marg
Tell me and I,ll forget
Show me and I might remember
Involve me and I,ll understand

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2008, 21:29:11 »
I tend to take the view that there's only one God, and most of our religions are just history and culture. I'm (liberal) Christian, my wife is a devout (and liberal) Muslim, and we've never had any problems with the difference. Other people do, but that's nothing to do with us.

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2008, 23:41:56 »
I too believe there is one God and those of us that have a faith and choose to use it in some way  in the world are all working for the same boss!!

I by the way do not describe myself as religious.. it is not a word I like, I prefer to say I have a  very strong faith which I follow to the best of my ability.

XX Jeannine.
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

gunnerbee

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2008, 00:37:06 »
i am a Jedi

Slug_killer

• Acre
  • I wanna be a slug.
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2008, 21:04:33 »
Did Jedi-ism become a proper religion in the 2001 census ?

Ps. If I don't remember closer to the event -  Happy 4 May.
When Santa's about, just hoe-hoe-hoe

Biscombe

• Hectare
  • Spanish Gardening In Orgiva
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2008, 15:44:55 »
i am a Jedi
Sorry laughing a lot here!

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal