Author Topic: purple sprouting brocoli  (Read 4290 times)

Crystalmoon

• Hectare
purple sprouting brocoli
« on: April 09, 2008, 20:49:44 »
Hi everyone Im a complete novice so this may be a really stupid question....... :-\
I have grown some Purple Sprouting broc seedlings, they are about 2 inches high at the moment & will need potting on soon.
Anyway i have just realised that as I only have half a plot I really dont have the room for them on my lottie as they grow so huge & need so much space. Would I be able to grow them in individual large plastic pots until I have harvested my summer salad crops & then transplant them into my lottie?

redimp

• Hectare
  • Colonia Domitiana Lindensium, Flavia Caesariensis
Re: purple sprouting brocoli
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2008, 20:52:14 »
Another member on here transplants them twice.  He puts them out at close spacing during the summer when space is tight and in the autumn he puts them at their correct spacing when there is not much else still growing.  This may be a solution for you.

I hope you don't mind me saying this RB but it does prove somebody reads your posts and takes notice ;D
Lotty @ Lincoln (Lat:53.24, Long:-0.52, HASL:30m)

http://www.abicabeauty

Crystalmoon

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2008, 21:12:07 »
Thanks redclanger for passing on this info.  I may be able to find room on the lottie for close spacing.   

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2008, 22:58:47 »
We don't put ours out in their final positions until later... after the early spuds are out...
 ;D

Eristic

• Hectare
  • NW London (Brent)
    • Down the Plot
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2008, 23:07:23 »
I transplant mine several times without any problems. Make sure plants are well watered both before digging up and after replanting. There is no way I could let small plants have the mature spacing from early spring through the summer when the land could be growing something else. Brassica also tend not to do terribly well in pots and prefer to be in the soil.

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2008, 23:11:28 »
You can sow them at the proper spacings and under or inter sow with things that will be eaten before they need all that space... such as Minicole cabbage or lettuce, radish, catch crops...
 ;D

Barnowl

• Hectare
  • getting back to my roots [SW London]
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2008, 12:31:59 »
I thought once planted you had to leave them in situ, so this has been very useful information for those of us with limited space - many thanks  :)

BillBarnes

• Not So New ...
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2008, 16:26:44 »
I grew and eat this brocoli for the first time this year and if there is a better tasting veg then I haven't eaten it  I am 70 and really disappointed I didn't find it sooner.  Mind you last year was my first with an allotment.

Plot69

• Hectare
  • Lincolnshire
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2008, 16:33:36 »
t  I am 70 and really disappointed I didn't find it sooner.

Me too... Butternut squash, disappointed I didn't find it sooner I mean, not 70  :o

I tasted it for he first time last year and I love it. Growing half a dozen plants full of it this year... At least I hope they'll be full.

It's my first year growing PSB this year, 24 plants enough?
Tony.

Sow it, grow it, eat it.

Old bird

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2008, 16:39:49 »
How many are you feeding.  I would have thought that for the average family that would be more than enough!  You may have to net them or arrange to keep something covering them because the pigeons love PSB!

Old Bird

bupster

• Hectare
    • Plot Holes
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2008, 16:41:17 »
24 ought to be enough for you and your street! Bear in mind they take up quite a lot of room, so maybe half those would keep you in broc and not eat up all your allotment.
For myself I am an optimist - it does not seem to be much use being anything else.

http://www.plotholes.blogspot.com

Plot69

• Hectare
  • Lincolnshire
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2008, 16:52:10 »
24 ought to be enough for you and your street! Bear in mind they take up quite a lot of room, so maybe half those would keep you in broc and not eat up all your allotment.

Have you seen the size of my plot? I've got three full sized, 10 rod, 325 sq Yd plots. I've just put my peas in at 12" spacing as I have so much space...

Seriously, I have plenty of room and we do eat a lot of veg. I have to grow for my Daughter's in laws as well so not a lot gets wasted.
Tony.

Sow it, grow it, eat it.

bupster

• Hectare
    • Plot Holes
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2008, 17:18:58 »
Crikey again, I'll shut up. Do you underplant them too?
For myself I am an optimist - it does not seem to be much use being anything else.

http://www.plotholes.blogspot.com

Plot69

• Hectare
  • Lincolnshire
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2008, 18:27:27 »
Do you underpant them too?

Oh yes, clean ones on every morning.
Tony.

Sow it, grow it, eat it.

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2008, 18:53:43 »
Grow, say, 10 Early White followed by, say, 10 PSB. Otherwise you'll be giving it all away!

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2008, 09:12:01 »
Contrary to my tomato growing habits, I only grow 3 overwintering PSB as I'm the only one in the family that likes it........I am eating bucketfuls at the moment! ;D
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2008, 09:26:10 »
This is Claret - not overly large. That's WSB behind - much larger.

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2008, 13:07:56 »
I find sowing later is the answer.

I work my sowing time back from when my early potatoes are ready because then I will have some spare ground.

I do this with all my overwintering varieties e.g savoys and winter cabbage.

Plot69

• Hectare
  • Lincolnshire
« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2008, 13:14:49 »
It's the first time I've grown it so I didn't know what to expect. I read somewhere you need quite a lot for a feed.

When I sow anything I always ask the Missus "How much do you want?" and she always  says "Lots". So that's what I do.

Tony.

Sow it, grow it, eat it.

simon404

• Hectare
    • Simon's Allotment
« Reply #19 on: April 12, 2008, 09:06:36 »
I'd agree with later sowing, I leave it till the middle of May

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal