Author Topic: Dilema pleeease help  (Read 3752 times)

Dougie1

• Not So New ...
Dilema pleeease help
« on: August 11, 2008, 20:23:36 »
My names Dougie from oldbury allotment, Ive been there for a couple of months. In this time i have worked extremely hard bringing the patch back to full vigour. the patch two doors down was the one that impressed me most, as the guy had put a cage over the whole of his patch, allowing him to enter the cage and weed without having to mess with little bits of netting etc. On further inspectin i realised that others had used this method also. Now with great financial expense i to have erected the same temporary cage (herras type fencing), but this time the committee have decided that one out of 88 plots have complained and are now holding meetings to discuss weather they should be taken down.

In my tenancy agreement it only states that no shed or building should be built without permission but as i say they are temporary as one bolt holds them together.

I made it aware to the committee that i was to have chickens on my plot and this cage also houses my chooks safely, i am next door to a school plot and the original lady who has made the commplaint (who's children have damaged my blue berry bushes and gooseberry bushes by running over them) So as you can see for me on my plot these fenced cages were more than worth me investing over £600, i can house my chooks, i can prevent children both sides destroying my crops, and i can net all my fruit and bracases in one.

What I'm begging for is someone who may know where i stand as i am at my wits end

Dougie

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
Re: Dilema pleeease help
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2008, 20:29:42 »
hiya, dougie..have you contacted the national society , nsalg.org.uk
they might be able to re-assure you  :-\

Dougie1

• Not So New ...
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2008, 20:36:01 »
Hiya Manicscousers ive not heard of them (its all very new to me) do you have any info on them and what is it they stand for?

Thanks for your time ;)

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2008, 21:37:46 »
yep, if you go on the web site, you can find someone to talk to or e mail, , it's the national society for allotments and leisure gardeners, we've used them a couple of times, they really helped us out..

Dougie1

• Not So New ...
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2008, 22:17:01 »
Thanks mate, your a star ;)

Tyke

• Half Acre
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2008, 22:58:35 »
Some allotments don't allow fencing. When i read your post i couldn't see that a cage around your plot would be against the rule as it would be netting.

However, i wasn't aware what Herras fencing was so i googled it. It's a 6 foot iron fence. Maybe i am have got confused about the type of fencing, but i have to say that i would be horrified if the type of fence i saw on google were put anywhere near my plot. It would look like an industrial building site. Netting is much less intrusive.

I suppose it depends on the nature of your site. On ours, most people have a small area to sit out on on plastic charis and enjoy the view and their veg and flowers. 

There are many schools of thought about allotments (outside of the official rules). Some seem to be highly functional, with little grass, lots of black plastic and little unwanted vegetation. Some like to blend it in with the surrounding area, while others like to use it as an extention of their garden.

Dougie1

• Not So New ...
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2008, 23:30:31 »
well i appreciate your input, but i do have to defend myself and my beliefs.

the fencing is six foot high and is of cage type, i have erected it to a high standard and it looks no different to the fruit cages i have seen advertised.

As for my surroundind plots?? most are full of weeds (very unsightly to say the least) including my next door neighbour (the school) who may i add have there plot for free and only ever attend it for a half hearted 30 minuites a week.

I didnt take an allotment to extend my garden or did i visualise me sitting on deck chairs, i simply wanted to beat the pinch and provide my family of two young children good food, in doing so keeping my granfathers name alive as one of the finest gardeners ive ever known. My children aged t12 and 15 are over the moon and spend every free miuite up there, between football, horse riding, dance, cheer leading lessons (who'd have em lol), so do you not think we have a right to do our thing? we are not wanting to intrude on anybody, just enjoy our family plot in the way we see fit ;)

Dougie

Tyke

• Half Acre
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2008, 01:32:19 »
I wasn't particularly having a go at your plot as i haven't seen it. I was just trying to put forward why there may be tensions about the fencing on your site.

It's a similar issue to people's gardens. People use them in a large variety ways that can be at odds with their neighbours and each other. One person's innefficient use of space can be another person's nature retreat. People use allotments to meet people, meet their food needs, to get exercise, to grow organic food, to get fresh air or to save money.

I've visited a lot of allotments locally to see how others do it, and they often have a very different feel to each other. Some look like people have spent a couple of thousands of pounds in sheds, equipment and paving, and seem to compete with each other. Other sites seem to revel in recycling.

Allotments have their rules, but there often seems to be unwritten conventions on sites - which causes problems when people have ideas at variance. This is neither right or wrong, but a consequence of freedom.

Dougie1

• Not So New ...
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2008, 01:52:28 »
My friend i didnt take it any context other than it was meant, your second paragraph says it all for me, "LIVE AND LET LIVE", A MOTO THAT OTHERS SHOULD RESPECT AND ABIDE BY

GOD BLESS YOU AND YOURS, MAY YOU THRIVE IN YOUR CHOICES :-*

SMP1704

• Hectare
  • Isleworth, Middlesex
    • Allotment Life
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2008, 20:30:40 »
Hi Dougie

I have also googled Herras - is this the mesh fencing often seen around building sites?  A lottie neighbour has recently acquired some - I assume for his chooks.

Whilst I can see your point of view - keeping kids off and birds out etc. to enclose your whole plot seems a bit extreme.  I'm not doubting that it is well constructed; it just doesn't chime with the ethos of allotmenteering.

Sorry this isn't the response you are no doubt hoping for but it is my opinion.

Dougie1

• Not So New ...
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2008, 23:05:36 »
No mate, im glad of your honesty. it does in fact make me feel for the other partys involved, i may ask those involved if they would be happier if i removed half of it, then maybe i can get on with what i enjoy the best and thats tending to my wee bit of land. i would be out of pocket for quite a sum though :-\

thanks buddy ;)

SMP1704

• Hectare
  • Isleworth, Middlesex
    • Allotment Life
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2008, 19:33:06 »
Put it -per panel - on Ebay.  I keep looking longingly at building sites (as you do) thinking that one panel would be perfect for my tall peas and runners.

If I'm thinking that, then I bet others are as well ;D

dsphysio

« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2008, 20:10:55 »
hello to all, sorry to change the subject! can anyone put me intouch with anyone/organisation that has sucessfully made their localcouncil provide hem with an allotment. There is no allotment in my parish at present.9wombourne, near wolverhampton. Many thanks Dave stevens

Dougie1

• Not So New ...
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2008, 21:49:04 »
Put it -per panel - on Ebay.  I keep looking longingly at building sites (as you do) thinking that one panel would be perfect for my tall peas and runners.

If I'm thinking that, then I bet others are as well ;D

you may be right ;D it means a lot more planning if this happens, but sometimes i suppose we have try and bend a little, i have offered to take 40% away today and there gonna think about the offer.

While this is an issue a can not enjoy my plot its like world war 3 up there at the moment, i just hope i can get back to doing what i enjoy soon.

thanks for the comments guys ;)

happy growing

Dougie1

• Not So New ...
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2008, 20:12:11 »
Just to add i made a compromise and all partys are happy (well not happy) but that's compromise i suppose, thanks for your opinions guys

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2008, 07:52:28 »
Welcome to the site DSphysio but you will get more response in a seperate thread in General. The problem with getting coucils to provide allotments is there is no time scale...  ::)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal