Author Topic: wating lists  (Read 20793 times)

trinity

• Acre
wating lists
« on: April 08, 2008, 11:26:40 »
hi i am new hear and was just wondering how long every one had to wate for there plot? i have been on the wating list for 3 months for five sites (which i know is not that long but there are loads of abandond plots with the rent being paid on then on all the sites! and have been told i will have to wate around 6 year for a plot has any one elce experienced this? dose any one know of any thing i can do to get the council to do some thing about this as the allotment ofcer dose not seem interested. none of the sites have asotiations there are only 30 pepole in frount of me an it is the same number on each wating list and have been told it is the same people on all the lists the sites i am on the wating lists add up to around 350 plots and i would say around a third are a state ( no cultervaton at all that i can remember on most of the ones that are abandond for 10 to 15 years! any one have any ideas?
ps sorry about the speling

Old bird

• Hectare
Re: wating lists
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2008, 11:52:30 »
Hi Trinity

Why don't you go to the Council with photos of the plots that aren't being worked (all of them) with their numbers and say that even if they are paying their rent - there is an obligation on the tenant's part to work the plot and keep it in good condition.  The Council will get sick of you tramping up there and will maybe get something done.

When you go to the Council make sure that you are bright breezy friendly and 100% polite at all times.  Make the people in the Council want to help you.  Thank them profusely every time they make a suggestion.

Try and find other people that are on the list as hopefully they may help you and go along with you to the council and fire off letters to the Council suggesting that they do something about the tenants that are not looking after their plots (and also check your spelling!!!)

you could also contact The National Allotment Holders Association (not sure if that is the correct name) to see if they have any bright ideas or can write a letter to the relevant officer in the Council.

Good luck with it - I think you may have an uphill struggle - but you should succeed (eventually) if you have all the information in front of you and you are nicely persistent.  Let us know how you get on.

Old Bird

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2008, 16:44:18 »
hiya, trinity, nice to meet you, good advice there from old bird, pester the allotment officer, e mail, mail and phone calls, they might get fed up enough to do something, just to shut you up  ;D

trinity

• Acre
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2008, 19:14:39 »
THANK U I WILL TAKE PHOTGRAPHS AND KEEP UP TO DATE (SORRY ABOUT THE SPELLING AGANE I AM ON MY DADS COMPUTER AN CANOT FIND THE SPELL CHECK)

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2008, 19:28:59 »
Hi Trinity Are you dyslexic?My stepdaughter and my son are.

I like Trinity: from the Matrix and also from Christianity (not that I'm Christian ... more of a barbarian! ;D ;D ;D. Good name!

It's awful when you have such problems getting an allotment. here in Edinburgh there are 1000+ plots and 1100+ people on the waiting lists.

It depends where you are how active the allotment committee are on making sure plots are worked, so the advice you have been given is sound! Keep asking, take photos, band up with others and make your voice heard!!

Also I believe that in England (others will correct me here) if 6 people go to the council and ask for an allotment site the council are supposed to provide it. No doubt they'd find reasons why not...

Good luck!!

Isleworth

• Half Acre
    • http://plot31a.blogspot.com/
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2008, 19:38:40 »
Hi,

Newbie here! It also looks like I'm going to have the same problem..

We rent our house and don't have a very big garden so I enquired about joining our local allotments!

I asked a member if there were any sites available and was told there were but they needed a lot of work, called the council and they said I would have to join the two + year waiting list.

I wonder how many people on the list are still waiting for a spot? I have heard that many people put their names down on more than one site and probably don't think about ringing the other sites to withdraw their application once they get somewhere

Such a shame as I would jump at the chance of having somewhere to grow some fruit and veg. :(

Guess I'm just going to have to be patient..

Best regards,

Lawrence

trinity

• Acre
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2008, 20:34:09 »
YES I AM DYSLEXIC VERRY BAD AT ENGLISH (BUT AM GREAT AT ARTAN PRACTICAL STUFF SO DONT MIND) ALSO NOT SO GREAT WITH COMPUTERS HENCE NOT BEING ABLE TO FIND THE SPELL CHECK LOL

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2008, 20:58:07 »
Trinity we don't care about spelling here. Just interested in what folk are saying1 ;)

manicscousers

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2008, 21:03:53 »
yay, another one, my feller's dyslexic as well, he can't understand why they make it such a difficult word to spell..
hiya, lwbroome, welcome to the site  ;D
p.s, there's a spell check at the bottom of your reply box if you want it  :)

trinity

• Acre
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2008, 15:42:11 »
I HAVE WRITTEN A LETTER TO MY LOCAL PAPER AND IT HAS BEEN PRINTED!

MY LOCAL COUNCILOR HAS CONTACTED ME AND HAS SAID HE IS GOING TO TRY AND DO SOMETHING ABOUT THE SITUATION (MAYBE JUST LOOKING FOR A VOTE ON THURSDAY BUT WE WILL SEE)
THEN I GOT A LETTER FROM THE COUNCIL ASKING IF I STILL WANT TO BE ON THE WATING LIST EVERY ONE ON THE LIST HAS RESEVED ONE!

TWO PEOPLE  I KNOW THAT HAVE AN ALLOTMENT ALREADY HAVE HAD LETTERS SAYING THAT THERE PLOTS WILL BE INSPECTED WITHIN THE NEXT FEW WEEKS AND IF IT IS NOT IN A GOOD CULTRVATED STATE THEY WILL HAVE A MONTH TO SORT IT OUT OR "ACTION WILL BE TAKEN"

ITS GREAT WHAT A BIT OF POLITE PESTERING CAN DO HOPEFULLY I WONT HAVE TO WATE 6 YEARS NOW SO WILL KEEP MY FINGERD CROSSD THAT THIS WILL MAKE A DIFERENCE

manicscousers

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2008, 15:45:24 »
congratulations, trinity, sounds like it's moving along  ;D

twinkletoes

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2008, 16:19:19 »
welcome trinity - I'm sure your persistence will be repaid.  Sounds encouraging so far.  Keep us posted on your progress.
twinkletoes

Old bird

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2008, 16:27:17 »
Brilliant Trinity

Keep up with the pressure - sounds like you will be getting a plot soon!  Fingers crossed for you.

Old Bird ;D

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2008, 16:52:09 »
Good luck... hope you get a plot real soon so you don't miss any of the season..
 :)

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2008, 19:00:55 »
We only give them two weeks to sort their plots ot! :o :o :o ;)

Plot inspections 26/4/08 for me. (memo to self: time to sort out your own plot!!)

trinity

• Acre
« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2008, 21:59:00 »
I would not mind wating for a plot if the ones that are empty (with the rent being paid) had any sort of cultervation on them! there is an elderly gent in the plot next tho my uncles plot an every year my uncle  an as many people as we can get together go and dig over all his beds for him (we did this today) and it only takes 3 hours well any way i was talking to this gent an the plot next to his is in a very sorry state and he says that he canot remember it being used in the last 20 years! at least now even with a council that canot be botnerd i am sure u can all agree that is just a bit much.
 ps sorry for the rant just canot see the logic of it all

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2008, 16:31:17 »
Rant away and pester even more and you might just grind them down and a plot might just come your way, good luck, ahh Trin a monkey hanger I see.  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

Lacelotte

• Half Acre
  • Livin', lovin', lovin' livin' it's all good!
    • Britons Against The 'Church' of $cientology
« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2008, 16:41:38 »
There are a number of plots on our site like that and even more on my old one.
It bugs the life out of me that they have such a brilliantely positioned plot with everything they need and then they pay the rent each year and probably use the shed as a storage space.

Many sites have a 'forgotten corner' where there are a number of plots that are in a very sorry state and usually very overgrown. If your not bothered about a challenge, find one of these plots and tell your allotment officer that you would be happy to take on one of the overgrown plots (many people on the waiting list would snub these plots as they see it as too much work and want to walk into a part functioning plot.

Thats what I did with my current plot. They even waivered the annual rent for this year! Best of all another lady has had the same idea as me and took up next door plot, she's racing ahead with clearing it and it gives me the sense of security that I have a commited neighbour who I can laugh about the hardships next year.

Good Luck,
Shane

trinity

• Acre
« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2008, 21:58:10 »
I have took many many photos today had to clime a few fences! ( not over just higher to get a good photo) and have sent them by email to the allotment officer with a request that i be considered for them. will go in person if i don't get a reply within a couple of days or so. yes i am a monky hanger and prowd of it lol

Lacelotte

• Half Acre
  • Livin', lovin', lovin' livin' it's all good!
    • Britons Against The 'Church' of $cientology
« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2008, 00:39:16 »
Ahhh Trinity a monkey hanger after my own heart! Where abouts in the town are you from? I'm a true cod head through and through. Born and raised on the Headland (the REAL Hartlepool) only moved away last year as the missus made me lol.

Which Allotment site are you interested in? I had a plot up Chester road.
The allotment officer is spot on in Hartlepool too. I worked for HBC for a couple of years (sorry I'm one of the guys that implimented your alternate weekly collection service of household and recyclable materials hehehe)
Her name escapes me now but I have her phone number in my diary. Don't speak to the fella down there, he hasn't a skooby doo!

I look forward to hearing back, Shane

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal