Author Topic: think im gonna bite the bullet  (Read 1488 times)

debster

• Hectare
think im gonna bite the bullet
« on: April 10, 2008, 12:11:06 »
and put up my plastic greenhouse this weekend the plants i have indoors will i still need to harden them off before i put them in there, im talking sub arctic tomatoes and chillis, thanks
 ;D

Suzanne

• Hectare
  • sun is shining
Re: think im gonna bite the bullet
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2008, 12:17:33 »
I would watch the weather overnight cause I am not sure if a plastic greenhouse would give enough frost protection. It got to -3 C in our little frost pocket of a garden a couple of nights ago so I hae been putting my toms and chillis in the garage overnight rather than leave them in a cold frame - just to be on the safe side. Having said that when I first put them out in March when it was around 3 and 4 C outside I didn't harden them off but left them straight in a closed glass cold frame and they were okay.

debster

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2008, 12:36:24 »
ok thanks i would rather err on the side of caution cos i do have room inside, just i suppose i could use it for hardening them off during the day then bring them in at night til after the end of april (supposedly the last frost round here)

Barnowl

• Hectare
  • getting back to my roots [SW London]
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2008, 12:37:53 »
Yet another heavy frost in outer London and it's been so cold overnight that my heater hasn't been able to keep the greenhouse at 5degC - temp dropped to 3 degC. That gave a 24 hour temperature range in the greenhouse of 3 up to 30 degC and back down again. Not ideal for chillies! 

This w.e. is forecast to be milder.

Pumper

• Half Acre
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2008, 14:09:45 »
I've have umpteen oodles of potted seedlings in our two placky greenhouses, and they are doing just admirably.
The other morning they were covered with 4 inches of snow, and when I brushed it off and opened the flap, it was almost tropical in there. I got a waft of really warm air come out.

debster

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2008, 14:15:22 »
i guess too cold for chillis just by the very nature of where they come from etc but the tomatoes are the sub artic variety would they fair any better, id rather be careful cos i dont want to lose them though

posie

• Hectare
  • Slowly winning??
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2008, 14:49:54 »
Although it doesn't keep the temperature constant, I've been covering my small plastic greenhouses in some old furry throws I had for my settee!  Outside temp was about -3 but temp inside was averaging about 5 degrees.  However my family think I'm barking for putting blankets on my greenhouses!  :D
What I lack in ability and experience, I make up for in sheer enthusiasm!!!

Sinbad7

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2008, 16:07:00 »
I did bite the bullet today and put two tomato and two pepper plants in my cloche on my plot.  You have me a bit worried now.

I'll try to put a photo of the cloche thingy in my gallery, can you let me know what you think?  Or should I go and take them out?  Although I have planted them in the soil :(

Sinbad

Sinbad7

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2008, 16:15:13 »
I have managed to upload a photo to somewhere so hope you can see it.

Sinbad

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal