Author Topic: Raising The Dead!!!!  (Read 1918 times)

Mimi

• Hectare
  • Pretty in Pink
Raising The Dead!!!!
« on: July 20, 2004, 21:04:26 »
I had a beautiful cyclamen last year that I have rested(after a good feed in the spring).  My problem  is what do I do now ??? ??? I havent managed to keep a cyclamen  before as our last house was too hot and didnt have anywhere that they liked, so this is all new to me... Any advice would be helpful....
Take time to stop and smell the flowers.

Palustris

• Hectare
Re:Raising The Dead!!!!
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2004, 22:02:55 »
Gently scrape off some of the compost from round the top of the pot and replace with fresh. Then increase the amount of water in the compost slowly. When (if) the new leaves start to grow begin feeding with a half strength liquid feed about every 2 weeks. Don't let the compost get too wer or your corm will rot.
Gardening is the great leveller.

Mimi

• Hectare
  • Pretty in Pink
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2004, 22:41:21 »
When is the best time to start the 'revival' Eric??

Palustris

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2004, 19:07:22 »
Mid August for September flowering and so on.

Gardengirl

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2004, 09:42:08 »
I have a lovely mini variety but cannot seem to keep it indoors so it has to live in my greenhouse - such a shame as they are so beautiful.  Do they like humidity - would it help if I stood it in a tray of gravel with water?  This is how I keep my orchid and it is ok indoors.
Happy gardening all...........Pat

Mimi

• Hectare
  • Pretty in Pink
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2004, 10:20:19 »
They dont seem to like humidity Pat but they do seem to do better in a cold room... Perhaps that is why, like you I have had trouble in the past.  Our previous house was too warm in the winter and I didnt have anywhere cool that it would survive.  Now I have one in the conservatory (only gently heated to prevent freezing)  in the winter and my cyclamen thrives.

budgiebreeder

• Hectare
  • West Yorkshire.
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2004, 11:42:56 »
I have just fetched mine in MIMI as i saw the leaves starting to shoot.I'll second what eric said as i scrape some top compost off theput in a bit of new.I also feed once ......well to be honest when i bethink me.They seem to do well in my living room,but i dont have central Heating.I dont put them in direct sunlight.This corm is quite big now as it will be in its fourth growing season.
Earth fills her lap with treasures of her own.

Mimi

• Hectare
  • Pretty in Pink
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2004, 13:04:56 »
Just had a thought  :o  Would it be possible to cut up the corm the same as begonia's and make several new plants??

Palustris

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2004, 19:12:31 »
Get one of your surgeons to do it as you would need to make sure that you got a growing point on each section of tuber. And you would need to stop the cut parts from rotting. It has been done, but it is not recommended. Why not get some C. persicum seeds? They will flower in 16 months or less.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal