Author Topic: I love Sweet Peas!  (Read 5864 times)

CotswoldLass

• Hectare
  • I love gardening!
I love Sweet Peas!
« on: July 20, 2004, 21:03:47 »
This season I've got these colourful, fragrant wonders in various places all round the garden! Indoors I've got them in every room, filling the house with gorgeous scent.

I simply ADORE Sweet Peas!

CLx

Wicker

• Hectare
Re:I love Sweet Peas!
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2004, 22:38:43 »
I'm with you there C/Lass - love them in the house as well better than any air freshener!  Mine didn't do very well last year but this year they are great so far - and they were cheapie packets from a bargain store....
Equality isn't everyone being the same, equality is recognising that being different is normal.

Plocket

• Hectare
  • Clematis Crystal Fountain
    • Plocket's Clematis Site
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2004, 09:20:47 »
I agree - the smell is divine, and they look so gorgeous too! I actually think they are one of the few flowers that looks better picked - I generally prefer flowers growing, as it were. I didn't grow many this year, just a few in the front garden, and smaller varieties in my hanging baskets. All from seed. The smaller varieties aren't that good for picking though because the stems are so short!

Went to the Wem sweetpea show at the weekend and it was simply gorgeous. So many colours and varieties. And the scent of the whole room....... Ahhhhhh!

The tree which moves some to tears of joy is in the eyes of others only a green thing which stands in the way... (William Blake)

rdak

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2004, 09:58:52 »
Is there a way to extend their life once cut? Ours die within a couple of days of cutting just left in water.

busy_lizzie

• Hectare
  • Izzy wizzy lets get busy! Whitley Bay, Tyne & Wear
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2004, 11:44:53 »
Sweet Peas are my favourite flower too.  I just love their delicate pastel colour, and their sweet gentle fragrance.  Know what you mean about them not lasting long though.  Only thing I have  heard, is that you  can put a 1/2 spoonful of sugar in the vase water to extend a flower's life.  :) busy_lizzie
live your days not count your years

CotswoldLass

• Hectare
  • I love gardening!
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2004, 12:32:09 »
Thanks Lizzie, I'm going to try that. I'd been searching for tips but not come up with anything.

Cut loads of SP's yesterday, and lo and behold - loads more today!

In the course of searching for tips came across this interesting list " The language of Flowers"

http://www.thegardener.btinternet.co.uk/flowerlanguage.html

When we take Sweet Peas to friends it means ' thanks for having us' ...sweet!

CLx

Kerry

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2004, 14:13:35 »
agree with everyone on this-love sweet peas, particularly with strong scent. Don't see the point of scent-less!
Any particular favourites?
Mine are cupani/matucana, sat out in garden yesterday and the smell was lovely, wafting over from the wigwams. :)

CotswoldLass

• Hectare
  • I love gardening!
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2004, 14:32:17 »
Some of my faves were bought from our local garage (a fave source of plants) but I still have the seed packets from the ones I grew myself, so will have a look and let you know.....

Did you grow yours from seed Kerry?

CLx  ;)

Kerry

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2004, 15:41:25 »
hi CL :)
yes, grown from seed. Bought the cupani seed half price at the end of last summer, along with the white supreme! Bargain!
The other sweet pea I grow, is 'sativus azureus' which I saved some seed from last year, and am pretty chuffed that they came up this year, it is the most amazing true bright blue, very dainty flower, alas breaking my 'must be scented' rule. Am planning to save more seed this year. :)
ps. does anyone here growing from seed sow autumn to overwinter? I sow mine in spring, but would be interested to know if anyone has found a difference.

Gardengirl

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2004, 09:37:54 »
I bought a very pretty bush sweet pea last year - two tone pink and grew it in a pot.  Saved the seeds and am pleased to say it has come true to colour again this year giving me a lovely sweet scented display.
Happy gardening all...........Pat

CotswoldLass

• Hectare
  • I love gardening!
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2004, 18:14:36 »
Hi all!

Just picked some more and am trying the sugar in water trick. Kerry I've always spring sown and I bought some as young plants but I think I will over winter some this year. Mate does and hers are always ahead.

Know I won't be able to resist buying little pots from the garage though (at 99p for a pot of about 10 they were great value anyway and have really come up trumps!)

CLX  ;)

Iain D

• Not So New ...
  • I do like to be beside the seaside - mostly!
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2004, 21:38:50 »
Yes, sweet peas are fab.

Kerry - I sowed mine towards the end of last year and I think it made a difference. My plants have been much better than the last two years and started flowering earlier. Of course, perhaps I was lucky with the variety this year - a good mix called 'Fragrantissma' (a good blend apart from a rather jarring salmon-orange) and the weather which has been wetter than usual.

The thing I'm not sure about though is what to do when they reach the top of the wigwam. That's when the wind gets them here and the unsupported bit falls over! I do keep tying in but it does look a bit congested after a while.

Cheers, Iain

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2004, 21:49:38 »
Just cut 'em off, Iain. It will also encourge extra side shoots. I still have three large jars of seeds from last years crop. I'm in the habit of tossing over garden walls. Naughty, but nice when I see a result later!

Iain D

• Not So New ...
  • I do like to be beside the seaside - mostly!
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2004, 22:26:20 »
I'll do that Ken and look forward to more flowers off the side shoots. Nothing naughty surely about a bit of generous broadcast sowing - your neighbourhood must look good at sweet pea time!

Doris_Pinks

• Hectare
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2004, 23:25:56 »
I am very jealous of you all, my sparrows have nipped all the buds of mine....have been cultivating them since September! :'(
We don't inherit the earth, we only borrow it from our children.
Blog: http://www.nonsuchgardening.blogspot.com/

Val

• Hectare
  • I hate those mieces to pieces
    • Wrinkles
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2004, 15:53:36 »
 ;D Thanks for language of flowers site Cotswold Lass, I've added it to my favorites, I've been wanting to know for ages what individual flowers mean, its great. 8)
"I always wanted to be somebody…but I should have been more specific."

CotswoldLass

• Hectare
  • I love gardening!
« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2004, 17:14:34 »
Ah DP, that's a shame. Can you not cut the stems as if they had been picked and see if more buds come (perhaps net from the birds?). No expert but an idea.....CLx

Val, it's sweet isn't it, I thought could be useful for birthdays and 'flower messages'  CLx

Doris_Pinks

• Hectare
« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2004, 00:28:56 »
I had a HUGE bunch of sweet peas delivered to me today from my farmer friend, he had heard I was a tad upset about mine!!! They
are beautiful!  Thanks CL for your advice x x ,but they are growing (hahahaha) up a pyramid affair and would be hard to net, next year they are going on the plot!
We don't inherit the earth, we only borrow it from our children.
Blog: http://www.nonsuchgardening.blogspot.com/

Yuet_Lee

• Acre
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2004, 17:56:43 »
Hi Ross,
To extend a flower's life after you cut them put a drop of lemonade or sparling water in the vase it'll keep the flowers last a lot long.
Yuet
« Last Edit: August 20, 2004, 01:30:26 by yuetlee »

Granny_Smith

• Half Acre
  • Of course its me - who else could look like this ?
« Reply #19 on: September 01, 2004, 14:38:20 »
My everlasting (unscented) SPs made a terrific show over an archway this year, but the seed pods have all been 'invaded'. Nearly every pod has a tiny hole in it and the seeds have all been chewed by something. Any ideas what pest this could be?

Sorry - have just seen the new pest section which was added while I was on holiday.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2004, 14:46:47 by Granny_Smith »
Granny is still your best friend !

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal