Author Topic: Redcurrent Concerns  (Read 856 times)

DavidW

• Quarter Acre
Redcurrent Concerns
« on: April 06, 2008, 19:23:49 »
Hi,
       New leaves have started forming on my redcurrent bush, but with reddish blotches on the leaves , any ides what this is?

Thanks
David

???

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
Re: Redcurrent Concerns
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2008, 19:26:43 »
My guess it is a 'variety thing' i.e. the mature leaves may turn out to be quite red as opposed to green.

If this is the case then it is just the leaves maturing.

LesH

• Half Acre
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2008, 20:41:36 »
      If the blotches are like blisters, you will probably find aphis under the leaves.

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2008, 10:20:15 »
      If the blotches are like blisters, you will probably find aphis under the leaves.

..yep...they are called Currant Blister Aphids...If there is not much blistering you may as well leave them...rarely they cause big damage for the bush...but is the infestation is big you can spray with insecticide to stop/lessen damage for the next year. Alternatively you can do winter wash with tar oil (I wonder if it is still available?..haven't used it for years) you bush next winter to kill any over wintering eggs.
Armillatox is based on tar oil...but it is not lisenced anymore for that purpose..EU regulations ::)
Company who does Armillatox never changed the product though even it is labeled now as "outdoor cleaner"...still same recipe and it still works like it used to.. ;)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal