Author Topic: Germinating marigold  (Read 2475 times)

posie

• Hectare
  • Slowly winning??
Germinating marigold
« on: March 23, 2008, 11:00:58 »
I put some marigold (French Bonita) seed into a seed tray about 10 days ago, covered it with compost, stuck a lid on it and put it into unheated greenhouse.  Should I have left the seeds on top of the soil, just asking because the other one's I've done (dwarf marigolds) have been done on top and they've germinated within 3 days but nothing from the French ones!  Start again??
What I lack in ability and experience, I make up for in sheer enthusiasm!!!

silverbirch

• Acre
  • My body is a temple - but so is the acropolis.
Re: Germinating marigold
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2008, 11:06:08 »
I cover mine, but I germinate everything indoors.  Have a poke around to see if they've started yet,10 days even in an unheated house seems a bit slow.

kimbobill

• Half Acre
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2008, 11:09:17 »
Try bringing them into the warm for a few days

posie

• Hectare
  • Slowly winning??
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2008, 11:16:55 »
Hmmm, just had a poke around and out of 24 cells, not one is showing any signs of germinating  :o.  Think I'm going to bring them in for a few days, maybe put them in airing cupboard in the nights and see what happens.  If not, then I'll start again and try them just on surface of soil.

jo9919

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2008, 21:25:42 »
I always start mine in a heated propagator. I lay the seed on top of the compost then cover with vermiculite.

I did this last Sunday and they were through within three days.

Jo.

posie

• Hectare
  • Slowly winning??
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2008, 08:17:28 »
I've decided to start again, the whole tray was covered with some kind of green algae and in most of the cells, the seeds were nowhere to be seen, so potentially rotted.  Ah well, you live and learn and I've still got billions of marigold seeds left!!!

star

• Hectare
  • Northampton, sm greenhouse, heated propagator
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2008, 13:37:53 »
Some of mine germinated but lots didnt. I pricked out the seedlings and put the tray back in the propagator
two more have shown since yesterday :D
I was born with nothing and have most of it left.

jesssands

• Acre
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2008, 14:29:53 »
I planted some seed from 2002, but they didn't take. just went mouldy.
Got some more french marigold seed and just layed them on top of damp compost like Kenkew said with just a lid on, popped them in the airing cupboard, did that last weds eve, the 1st ones were showing friday morning! wow
I just pricked them out and put them in pots. Had a small disaster tho, the ones that were left in the tub I thought I'd put back in the airer, gave them a water and turned my back, the wind blew and there they were plopped in a mess on the patio, scooped it back up and put it back in the airing cupboard.... god knows if I'll get a few more??? thought if I do i could pass them on to my friend, I got 54, that'll be plenty eh

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2008, 16:37:11 »
Here are some basic rules I use;

If a plant is half hardy then it needs heat to germinate.

If it is hardy or it says on the packet it can be sown directly into the soil at a given time, these will not require artificial heating.

Having said that it speeds things up a lot if you do.

jesssands

• Acre
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2008, 11:10:53 »
the disaster ones worked, couple of days and they have popped their heads up. bless them.

Sparkly

• Hectare
    • Flixton Band (Manchester)
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2008, 13:35:56 »
My french marigolds have germinated. What is the minimum size plot I could transplant the seedlings in? If I decide to plant them i seed trays, what distance apart is suitable. I have minimum seedling space left!

Emagggie

• Hectare
  • Out to lunch.
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2008, 17:54:41 »
Same here sparkly, running out of space fast. I had a look at the amount that were sown in the garden centre poystyrene trays and did more or less the same amount in my trays (12 in a half size seed tray). They look fine.
Smile, it confuses people.

posie

• Hectare
  • Slowly winning??
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2008, 19:16:12 »
French Bonita says 8" apart if that helps.  All of mine have now germinated and I seem to have rather a lot of them!  ;D

mrf94

• Half Acre
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2008, 21:07:56 »
I had some saved seeds from my pot marigolds sprinkled them on compost in a tray covered with vermiculite placed over heat and there popping up left right and center.

Today i bought french and african marigolds there turn tomorrow

My propogater is a small single wick paraffin heater ( sump heater ),
placed under a stainless steel shelf big enough for three trays , sprinkled sand on shelf as a buffer and it works a treat.

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2008, 21:12:46 »
threw all the rest of the seeds windygale sent me last year in the bed I'll be using for squash later, all popping up all over the place  ;D

Emagggie

• Hectare
  • Out to lunch.
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2008, 22:02:47 »
About to sow marigold type seeds taken from flowers in Cyprus last hols, I hope they come true as they were a bit special. ;)
Smile, it confuses people.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal