Author Topic: 2 quick chicken questions, I hope?  (Read 2152 times)

gt568

• Not So New ...
2 quick chicken questions, I hope?
« on: April 04, 2008, 20:50:05 »
2 questions if you don't mind:

1. Will my chickens ever learn to go into the coop own thier own at the end of the day?

2. What time should I lock them in for the night, dark or dusk?

Many thanks folks

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
Re: 2 quick chicken questions, I hope?
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2008, 22:40:26 »
Yes they will go in the hen house on their own, usually in the cold or when it is getting dark.

I do not lock mine up. The Main door is closed but the side bob-hole is always open for them to come and go. They love being out in summer.  As daylight gets longer you would have to get up earlier and lock them up later.  If it is open for them to come and go as they please, it does not matter if you are going to be late with their feed for example.  They are still getting out and about as and when they wish.  In winter months I go down just as it is getting dark and they are always perched inside. The bob-hole is then closed and they are locked in for the night.  This is to stop rats pinching the eggs for food and any foxes being able to get in.   Personal preference.
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

Tohellwithweeds

• Half Acre
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2008, 12:39:37 »
yes they will go in on there own when it gets dark or cold and i normally go down any time between 4.30 and 6pm to put them to bed as i would never leave the pop up hole open all night in case of rats getting in. im an early riser and let them out at 5.30 am every week day morning and a bit later at the weekend .
I do think its up to your life style as to when you lock them up for the night  and there are no set times so i wouldnt worry to much hope this helps gt568
Link To My Pictures
http://s265.photobucket.com/albums/ii229/ToHellWithWeeds/?mediafilter=images

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2008, 12:48:40 »
i normally go down any time between 4.30 and 6pm to put them to bed
They are losing 2 hours of daylight and being out in the fresh air.
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

Joe11

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2008, 12:57:58 »
I do think its up to your life style as to when you lock them up for the night  and there are no set times so i wouldnt worry to much hope this helps gt568
Yep totally agree, you can't be there all the time just as it gets dark, for most people this would not be practical.

beanie3

• Half Acre
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2008, 21:02:52 »
Hi - we had to train our chickens to learn to use the perch (1/2 weeks of putting them on) its now second nature.

My house is in seperate run so i dont lock them up so they can come and go (within the run) and the run i have dug down to prevent the foxes (But as we all know if Foxes want to get in - they will - havent had any trouble so far....i hope i havent talked anything up.)

would thoroughly recommend a seperate run - all that getting up at an unearthly time would probably make me a little resentful to the little ones!

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal