Author Topic: Wonderful surprise  (Read 1401 times)

Pumper

• Half Acre
Wonderful surprise
« on: April 04, 2008, 17:23:00 »
It wasn't all that long ago when I watched Johnny Kingdom waxing lyrical about a Red Kite he saw whilst out filming hares. He described it as we watched so there could be no mistaking what it was.

Well, I was up the lottie yesterday, and one came slowly lolloping over the trees an started going round in lazy circles right above our plot. Once again all the markings were really clear and could not be mistaken.
I was standing there absolutely fascinated just staring at something which is so rare, and feel quiet privileged.

As always happens on these occasions, I didn't have the camera with me :(

I spose I'm not allowed to say where my plot is now, or I'll get mobbed by birdy people coming round in droves for a good ole twitch  :D

star

• Hectare
  • Northampton, sm greenhouse, heated propagator
Re: Wonderful surprise
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2008, 18:01:53 »
Thats lovely pumper, you might be pleased to know  that red kites are making a big comeback. Only 10 years or so ago they were mainly confined to Wales and rural places in Scotland I believe.

They are regularly seen over most of England now, since they are now a protected species. Whats more annoying is they were shot, nearly to the point of extinction because of our greed. But they are mostly scavengers and clean up rather than take prey.........although they do that too.

On a similar theme, I was in my back garden the other day and we saw 4 buzzards overhead. Its only last year and this week that I have ever seen them round here. Its amazing how protecting a species for a few years will enable it to recover its numbers.
I was born with nothing and have most of it left.

Debs

• Hectare
  • If at first you don't succeed, try and try again!!
Re: Wonderful surprise
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2008, 18:57:28 »
Lovely aren't they!

Red kites can be seen at  Gibside (National Trust) in Tyne & Wear

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal