Author Topic: Lily Beetle  (Read 5237 times)

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
Re: Lily Beetle
« Reply #20 on: May 07, 2008, 18:51:32 »
Found 3 yesterday, so back to daily inspections!!!!

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #21 on: May 07, 2008, 19:25:22 »
I think I'll go and do another spot check...  :-[

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
« Reply #22 on: May 07, 2008, 20:39:01 »
I'm still waiting for an answer to my earlier question about whether these pests have any natural predators.  From the lack of replies I suspect not.   >:(

G x
'The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.'

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #23 on: May 08, 2008, 07:39:49 »
The answer is probably 'dunno'. They're brightly coloured, suggesting that they may be nasty-tasting or poisonous, but sometimes it's a bluff. I've no idea how a bird responds to the sight of them.

glosterwomble

• Hectare
  • Gloucester - The South West
    • Fork it...a Gloucester allotment
« Reply #24 on: May 08, 2008, 08:26:46 »
I'm still waiting for an answer to my earlier question about whether these pests have any natural predators.  From the lack of replies I suspect not.   >:(

G x
The RHS has done a study on the lilly beetle as it is one of the most asked about pests now. In reply to 'does it have a natural predator' they say ...

In parts of mainland Europe the lily beetle is kept in check by four species of parasitic wasp that attack the larval stage, only one of which (Tetrastichus setifer) was known to occur in the UK. Research at the RHS found a second species of parasitic wasp (Lemophagus errabundus) in Britain in 1999. The continuing prevalence of this beetle as a pest would indicate that the parasitoids present in the UK are not sufficient to prevent this beetle causing problems.

So there you go, seems not. We only have a few lily plants in ourgarden so checking by hand and squashing is our option!

View my blog on returning a totally
 overgrown plot in Gloucester
 into a productive allotment ... http://fork-in-hell.blogspot.com/

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #25 on: May 08, 2008, 08:36:45 »
If the wasps are present they may increase alongside the beetle until they reach a balance. Or not as the case may be. I wonder whether they predate anything else.

Brogusblue

• Acre
  • I love roses and have nearly 80 of them.
    • SRS - Shredder Repair Services
« Reply #26 on: May 08, 2008, 08:52:51 »
Hello

I nipped to our local B&Q yesterday for a look round and there lillies where crawling with these bettles i did mention it to one of the staff who said it's a free gift with the plant  ??? so i didn't buy any of there lillies.

None on my since the mass kill but i do check everyday.

Cheers
Brogusblue
I have been infected by the "rose virus"  ... I have surrendered to my addiction gracefully. There's no recovery"   On the other hand, imagine life without roses – a dreadful thought!

The Royal National Rose Society
                                     www.rnrs.org

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
« Reply #27 on: May 08, 2008, 10:15:52 »
Thanks for that, Glosterwomble.  I use the same control method as you but as ever, I'd prefer to leave it to natural order if at all possible.  I'm not I want to encourage wasps though... ::)

G x
'The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.'

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #28 on: May 08, 2008, 13:07:28 »
They're not going to be the sort that stings.

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
« Reply #29 on: May 08, 2008, 17:39:34 »
They're not going to be the sort that stings.

Oh right, shows what I know!   ::)  Looks like a bit of research is needed then to see how to attract them.  I'll report back if I find out anything useful.

G x

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #30 on: May 08, 2008, 18:33:23 »
If it's a parasite on lily beetles, you can attract them very easily if they're around your area. Breed lily beetles! They're probably going to be the sort that lays an egg in the beetle larva, and it grows in there, then eats its way out. The monsters in the Alien series were partly based on these.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal