Author Topic: Anyone who has Paltalk  (Read 3519 times)

Ozzy aka Pothead

Anyone who has Paltalk
« on: July 20, 2004, 14:02:13 »
Yo peeps

It has spyware and some git was getting my passwords from there.. I ran spyblaster and it said one item of protection was disabled... scroll down and founf the booger.. and it was paltalk... just before that my puter was not accepting my passwaords and asked me for my mothers maiden name.... this is when alarm bell sounded as no puter on this earth knows my mothers maiden name so I typed in a ficticious one and hey presto I was allowed to continue on my own computer.... If you are thinking of downloading paltalk . is mad really cus I should have guessed first off .. cus u shouldnt really have to download files etc onto ur puter for something that is no more than a dingy lil chatroom... anyways just fort id let yawl knows... I have now ditched paltalk like a hot potato and have run loads of sytem checks and have changed all my passwords.. (which aint a bad idea to do every couple of weeks anyways)...  good jobbo I dont keep my bank details etc on the puter... still its another lesson learnt....

Ozzy

:-* :-* :-*

also I have noticed that everytime I post a thread the seen count is always 3... anyone explain this?.... I did similar thread early this morning and I was the only one here... yet when I hit post and then went to the board it said it had been read 3 times although no one else was here and I never read it after hitting post?... should I be concerned?.... cheers
« Last Edit: July 20, 2004, 14:12:52 by Ozzy aka Pothead »

Jesse

• Hectare
    • News2Share
Re:Anyone who has Paltalk
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2004, 19:20:52 »
Oz thanks for the warning. I get loads of emails from ebay and such like (even had a phone call today from "RAC" so they said ha ha, bet it wasn't them) wanting my bank details, passwords etc. I just don't give out any personal info any more, too many baddies out there trying to rip us good people off.

A friend I used to work with got ripped off badly giving out her bank details. She got a phone call at work "from her bank" so they said, saying that someone was trying to withdraw money using her bank card, they asked her to check that her card wasn't stolen. She went to her desk and sure enough her bag was missing. (we worked in a building that has a lot of public access). When she confimed that her card was missing the "bank" said to give them all her details and they would put a stop on her account. They even asked for her pin number. After finishing the phone call she became suspicious about them asking for the pin number so phoned the bank back tho ask why they needed the pin number, surely you shouldn't give out that info but in her panic she had done so. The bank knew nothing of the call! Turns out the little shark had stolen her bag and then phoned her at work (knowing where she works and what her name is) and conned her into giving out her details. They withdrew the maximum daily amount out of her account and the bank wouldn't cover that because she had willingly given the thief her details.

I have also noticed 3 reads everytime I post something, it's not just you. Think it's the way this forum is set up, perhaps someone in the know can enlighten us.
Green fingers are the extension of a verdant heart - Russell Page

http://www.news2share.co.uk

Ozzy aka Pothead

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2004, 19:55:16 »
Wow Jesseveve

that is well crafty... I also done a little digging about paltalk and have found out that it is run buy a bunch of morons as opposed to high tech peeps with integrity.. what I find hard to understand is why it has to download files onto your computer??? there are may chatrooms out there with very similar functions that DONT require you to download files onto your puter.. and it seems that you can upgrade paltalk for a fee??????  I was amazed at how this spyware had over-ridden spybot and only when I run spyblaster was it uncovered... I also got 3 trojan horses which has been sorted out now..but they did not come from paltalk but sources closer to home....

How many peeps here are lost.. when they hear "Spyware" and Adaware mentioned?  I dont mind doing a basic step by step thread for peeps on downloading and running these items if peeps want it?

It's sad about your friend.. and I hope it dint cost her too much both finamcially and spiritually becus these things can have an awfull negative effect...  hope she is okay... bet she is a sight more vigilant now though!

cHeErS

Ozzy

:-*

heres the edit.... forgot to say... someone has advised to not to let my computer remember my passwords... given what just happened I think its good advice.... also aint a bad idea to change them every so often.. is easy to keep a little notebook just in case like.... god the things ya have do....

ppppppssss.... also I changed me passwords here and hit the delete user button again,,,, is a concentration thang and I am far to quick with the mouse click.. have done loads of baddy things by over entusiastic clicking  ;) so thats the reason u dont see me lil pot swirly world and me jumpy uppy tiger on the post above... just in case anyones wuz wondering like...  ;)
« Last Edit: July 20, 2004, 20:09:58 by Ozzy aka Pothead »

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2004, 21:00:38 »
I too have had problems with pokey noses....I run this prog which tells me who/what's spying on me and also gives me the option to kick ass!
http://www.nuker.com/

Mimi

• Hectare
  • Pretty in Pink
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2004, 22:57:26 »
Thanks for that warning Ozz.. Had it installed recently, but have now uninstalled it...
Take time to stop and smell the flowers.

Ozzy aka Pothead

« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2004, 23:33:39 »
Yo mimi

Your welcome.. is mad place internet... and how legislators do not think that companies/individuals are not acting illegally when infiltrating ur puter wivout permission is beyond me.... years ago was the vacumn salesman peep wiv foot in door.. nowadays its cold callers at door to switch energy supplier... but we could all tell them to get on theier bikes... the net is total diff..... I am being dead dead careful now about what files/programmes I am gonna download..... cus it prob sez in the small small print and when we click yes we are kinda of agreeing.. I dunno, forgot what I was saying then? brb.... soz have lost it completely.. wuz gonna say somat dead dead dead important but have totally so forgot I has.....

am going nuts here trying to think what so will just hit post... ah yeah just remembered... I had some clever peep hack into me puter back along and looking back it was funny cus the peep altered the formulas in me spreadsheets and one day I went from dead skint to well rich..... and then the hacker would sort of move my mouse or make me struggele to get the mouse where i want it... like playing chess... id be trying to move me knight and the hacker would be dong whatever they do to stop me...  what this has to do with the price of fish in Blackpool i dont know so am gonna hit post whilst I can sort of remember where i iz like....

ozzy

oh yeah ... ken nice link m8 found another 3 good on ya   :)

this is the editted bit..... just remebered part of the process.. for a few days I was being logged out of gameknot and every time i visited another site between moves and return it would ask me for me password.... which is a little clue if anything like this is happening to anyone else... for instance I am logged in here... after i hit post I can now go to gameknot and carry on as i am still logged n there too.. and come back here and still be logged in... is why i changed passwords here.. cus it was happening everywhere I went.. and now a clean sweep on me puter and everything is going groooovy..... and now I am wondering if this last post is of any help at all or just another inane babble????
« Last Edit: July 20, 2004, 23:45:01 by Ozzy aka Pothead »

Ozzy aka Pothead

« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2004, 17:19:56 »
Mimi

you may have to run spyware blaster to illiminate it from your puter... I dont think just un-installing paltalk would be suffiecient..but I may be wrong... if you dont have spyware blaster heres a link to download it.. and its FREE..

http://www.javacoolsoftware.com/spywareblaster.html

if you has any probs running it.. just give us a shout....  I found it because after scanning spaware told me that one item had been disabled from protection and that was the paltalk spyware...  any probs just holler and will come running... god can feel a song comming on I can by crikey.. but this aint the shed or the watershed.. so bestest behaviour...

Ozmund

« Last Edit: July 21, 2004, 17:21:41 by Ozzy aka Pothead »

Mimi

• Hectare
  • Pretty in Pink
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2004, 17:26:51 »
Dearest Osmuno   :-*how good you are ;) Just one think will adaware get rid of it... dont really want to download more stuff.   We have Norton and Adaware.  Gosh it is complicated all this internet stuff.
Take time to stop and smell the flowers.

Ozzy aka Pothead

« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2004, 19:56:44 »
Yo Mimi

Yes Adaware6 will do the job... I just reloaded paltalk then uninstalled it then run adaware to find out just for you   :-*.. god I dunno the things we do in the name of love eh mimi?  :-* :-* :-* hahahaha

now I will check with spyblaster and if anything else should turn up then rest assured my love  ;) I will return to you once moreth  :)

ozzy

heres the edit ... yep adaware does the trick, so no need for spyblaster if u dont want it..  :-*
« Last Edit: July 21, 2004, 20:00:47 by Ozzy aka Pothead »

tig

• Half Acre
  • .....HI.....
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2004, 13:34:20 »
hi ya ozzy thanks for the thread i now have the enterprise on yellow alert  ::) ;D dont want those pesky clingons stealing me precious cargos :) any way glad to say youve prompted me to give me puter a good spring cleaning... can be so easy to forget to run a weekly system check.. i use the usual norton anti virus etc. also run spybot search and destroy can u advise if this is any good or maby i should look into the others u mentioned
        cheers

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal