Author Topic: Comfrey advise  (Read 1808 times)

zoro

• Not So New ...
Comfrey advise
« on: April 03, 2008, 20:02:56 »
Hi just wanted some advise re comfrey ...thought about trying to get some for my allottment ...but struggling at garden centers ...also i have heard it is best to get the kind that does not seed as can easiely get out of hand...any advice welcomed ..also info on size ...when to plant and harvest and ideas of how to use it for best results ..Many thanks

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
Re: Comfrey advise
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2008, 21:29:07 »
Bocking 14 is a popular clone that is used for organic growing... Chase Organics stock it..
 :)

glosterwomble

• Hectare
  • Gloucester - The South West
    • Fork it...a Gloucester allotment
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2008, 21:40:49 »
I bought my comfrey from Ebay.
View my blog on returning a totally
 overgrown plot in Gloucester
 into a productive allotment ... http://fork-in-hell.blogspot.com/

silly billy

• Acre
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2008, 21:44:05 »
I wouldn't listen to any of the horror stories regarding comfrey. Get some and stick it in you won't regret it. As for use I fill a net bag with the leaves and then sink it in my waterbutt then wait a couple of weeks give it a stir and water it on. It does stink but its worth putting up with.
My idea was to build Liverpool into a bastion of invincibility. Napoleon had that idea. He wanted to conquer the bloody world. I wanted Liverpool to be untouchable. My idea was to build Liverpool up and up until eventually everyone would have to submit and give in. Bill Shankly.

ceres

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2008, 21:49:18 »
I just planted comfrey (Bocking 14) today.  I bought it on eBay, good price and arrived in nice condition.  I found some info on using it here:

http://www.keirg.freeserve.co.uk/diary/tech/comfrey.htm

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2008, 23:18:12 »
I grow and use comfry a lot. I have big water tub(with tap on the bottom) which I fill with comfry leaves, seaweed meal , nettles, dog leaves& roots etc...I cover with water and let it brew..
After few weeks my brew stinks and it is ready..fertilizer on tap!! Used it diluted and it is great for many veg around allotment. The sludge in the bottom of the tub is emptied once a year (spring) and I spread it under currant bushes and around rhubarb.
You can cut crop out of comfry about 4 times but leave the end of summer growth so the plants retain they vigour for the following year. I normally give them feed around august with fish, blood and bone.
I also use the leaves as mulch around potatoes or even plant them on the top of the comfry leaves in the planting hole. 

DeeBee

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2008, 08:39:44 »
I have a piece of Comfrey from a lovely lady who gave us a chunk when we went around her garden on an Open Day and a bocking 14 chunk. The 'normal' doesn't seed particularly but it has  been put in a distant corner on its own surrounded by couch and nettles with just enough space to grow. This one is up quite early and supplies leaves for my potato trenches. I also bought a bocking 14 from ebay. It is less early to rise in the season for me and so gives me leaves for popping in the water butts later on when everything gets going. Bit stinky when it rots down though ;D

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2008, 08:54:46 »
I've had 'normal' comfrey for years, and never had any problem with seeding or spreading.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal